Wednesday 8 June 2016

The last of the Barred Owl

June 5th, 3:16 p.m.
Well, that's it for my owls, methinks. I took a last walkabout in the forest Tu., June 7th, tromping along the peninsula into the wetland, nada. Then across the bog and up the hill. There she was in the back 40. She stared at me and flew off into the wetland. I couldn't see chick at all.

These photos, June 5th are about 50m away from the nest, so I imagine the chick is doing well.  I heard her this morning, doing her solicitation call at 6:00 a.m. and it being a coldish morning I think I'll post my last photos of her, and know she is in the forest!

What I find interesting is that all the reliable resources say that they are nocturnal. I've heard them in my forest for the few years I've lived here, but both day and night. Obviously, my photos are in the day as I don't tromp in the night when we have lions and tigers and bears.  ¯\_()_/¯

I have summed up the sightings of my owl on a page, just for future reference. 

Now, these photos are just beside the nesting tree. I love watching her! She stared, perhaps glared down at a tree. In the last photo, I'm way too slow in reaction times... she suddenly swooped down and plucked a mouse from the base of a tree. Then flew up several metres away, to the top of the canopy. I don't know if the chick was there, I couldn't see a thing. The chick is well-hidden. 
I'm happy for my owl family! 

6 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

How neat this has been for you.

Out To Pasture said...

So nice to have a happy ending for the barred owl family. You'll no doubt be listening for their call on all your walks.

Nancy J said...

Looking at her, those markings are outstanding, and even from a distance, a perfect setting. Maybe you will see them all again next time they come to stay and nest.

Red said...

Well this owl gave you a lot of pleasure this year.

William Kendall said...

It's been a good area for her to have a little one.

Debbie said...

lions and tigers and bears, Oooooh My!!!! what a wonderful experience this was for all of us!!!!