Wednesday 30 August 2017

Microsoft called!

good old days

Hubby's aunt told us that she had the Microsoft phone call scam. She is 87 and doesn't have a computer. She kept the guy on the line, pretending she did. I thought of her, right away!
It was a day of scamming. Yet another!

I was at my client's house and the phone rang. She couldn't understand what the caller was saying. I took the phone. He had a heavy East Indian accent. He told me he was with Microsoft and that my computer was broken.

I said, "It is?"
He said, "Yes."
I asked, "Are you going to help me with it?"
"Yes,"  he said.
"Oh, good!"
"Go over to your computer. Are you there?"
"Yes, I'm in front of my computer." (I'm giggling broadly at my client.)
"OK, can you find the key that says C-T-R-L, which means Control?"
"Yes. I found the control key on my computer."
"OK, What key is beside that key?"
"An apple." (I have a Mac! I don't have a CTRL key, it clearly says control. He paused.)
"OK, press the control key with your finger."
"What? With my finger? I can't use my nose?" My client laughed.
At that point, I was giggling harder, looking over at my nonegenarian client, who has never used a computer. Did he ever pick the wrong family!

We felt somewhat empowered.

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Sounds like fun.

Debbie said...

Funny story!!! You would not be able to live in tent city, you certainly need more wide-open spaces and wildlife in your life!

William Kendall said...

What a twit!

Far Side of Fifty said...

:)