Monday 12 March 2018

Narrows Lock to see the birds! #1

Sat., March 10th's drive: 'twas a whim. The sun was peeking behind the clouds and we expected more snow. JB suggested a drive.
Narrows Lock to Newboro #2
You can see how many lakes and rivers we have. The birds stop on their way north to their nesting grounds. This was my hope.

Other times we've seen trumpeter swans. The water was quite open, and it was cold in the wind. The sun came and went.

The wetlands are slowly thawing. You can see tracks on the frozen snow.
I'm glad I wore my boots!



They've been repairing the locks over the winter. [Narrows Locks] That is finally done. 

The Rideau Canal, of which the locks are a part, were developed as a defense against a potential threat from the Americans (1812). Since then, the locks are a lovely way to travel by boat from Kingston to Ottawa.


There was a lot of action on the water.


Glad I wore my boots!


For that full experience! The sound is glorious!
Narrows Lock Geese from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

6 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
That's a whole different look to when I visited!!! Brrrrrrr... YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

The Narrows is a good spot.

We drove to Arnprior yesterday for Wes' Chips. Much of Eastern Ontario had the same thought. We then took a short walk in Gillies Grove.

Kay said...

I'm feeling a chilly breeze as I look at your photos. I do LOVE your header photo, by the way.

William Kendall said...

The birds know spring is coming!

Red said...

We are still locked in ice and snow. We have a few birds on the open water on the river.

Lowcarb team member said...

You certainly needed your boots!

All the best Jan