Wednesday 1 November 2017

Book Review: JOURNEY FROM INVISIBILITY TO VISIBILITY

Sometimes, just in the nick of time, I'm sent a book that hits home. I've found, having achieved age 60, that things change. We have more role models for being age 60 than our mother's had, however. With people living until their 80s, we face retirement for far longer.

There is a dilemma, when society does not keep up to reality.
I'm tired of the phrase, 'Not your gramma's____' (insert a modern-day technology). Other ageist articles tell us how to force our mothers give up driving, or move to a senior's residence.

Life has changed for those of us who wear Arctic White hair. No longer do I have a work cadre of people who, even if they didn't socialize with me, we still talked every day. I've lost that. I've found purpose, in volunteering. I gave up being on volunteer committees, as they didn't possess my beliefs, want me, or my skills. There is too much politics in this.

In previous eras, grandmothers were the matriarch, at the centre of the family. More often than not, adult children must move for work, or involve step-families, which change the dynamics of a tribe. While some of us face loneliness at this stage of our lives, others can find opportunities for philanthropy and/or volunteerism. If you have health and wealth, you are really way ahead. Those with money can take grandkids traveling, or travel to see them. We can take trips for fun, with peers. It is a new age of growing old.

 This is a helpful book. It is a perfect book for a women's book club, or for those seeking to work through their thinking, attitudes, and their beliefs. There are strong opportunities for self-analysis, with historical context, real-life personal stories, and thoughtful end-of-chapters questions for reflection. There are reminders to take time for ourselves, but also others. To socialize, have fun, and enjoy life.


Author Photo
Authors Cindy Soloway,
Gail Harris and Marilyn Lesser
  In JOURNEY FROM INVISIBILITY TO VISIBILITY authors Gail Harris, Marilyn Lesser and Cynthia Soloway bring together a chorus of women who have, without any connection to each other, shared their stories about their dreams and disappointments. But the book is not merely a collection of stories; it is also a guide with information and strategies on how to incorporate the past into the picture of our present lives.



Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

12 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

It does sound like a good book group book. Thanks!

Lucy said...

Sounds like a book worth checking out. Thanks for the review.

Olga said...

This sounds interesting and I plan on checking it out for possible book club recommendation. Sounds like what we end up talking about in book group anyway!

William Kendall said...

Thanks for pointing this one out, Jennifer!

Linda McLaughlin said...

It does sound like a great book club read as it will provide lots of food for thought.

I agree with you about "not your grandma's" whatever. I have no children, so really don't like being called a granny. Plus, thanks to my writing career, I'm more computer literate than lots of younger people. I hate the stereoptyping, too

It's wonderful that you're finding purpose in volunteering.

Sarah Laurence said...

It's good to see books like this for the next chapter in life. Thanks for your review!

Red said...

Some very realistic ideas here. Things have changed. Let's get it and get on with the program.

DUTA said...

Good for you finding out there's much politics in volunteering commitees . I would also add, there's much corruption there. The same applies to charity organizations. One has to check things thouroughly before giving charity or offer to volunteer.

Barrie said...

This sounds very interesting. Several years ago, I had a conversation with my MIL, and she was saying that the older she got, the less people listened to her. I wish I could've given her this book. Thank you for reviewing!

troutbirder said...

Indeed. Much of what you wrote in response to this book is not only interesting but true. At seventy five and being retired teachers since sixty two we've learned a lot. Now our new phase is my wife's dementia and a caretaker role brings on new challenges and attitude of friends and strangers...:)

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for the review.

All the best Jan

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I've got a feeling that I'd better not share my experiences with dementia with anyone ... I'd never stop .
Like quite a few people I've met recently , I find a pat on the shoulder about right .