Sunday 15 October 2017

Autumn chores: goldfish are in!

It was time. The goldfish are in. I had to drain the danged goldfish pond, as usual. We had 9 all last winter. I lost one in July. Then, I was hunting for 8 of them. Suddenly, I remembered I'd lost another last week. Sigh. Don't tell the kids. The pond, which I dug myself, isn't deep enough for our frigid winters.

Over the years: October can be too cold to be playing in water.
Oct. 12th, 2017 
Sept. 18, 2016:  The goldfish are in!
Oct. 7th, 2015: The goldfishies are in!
Oct. 4th, 2014: Fall chores: bringing in goldfish
Sept. 28, 2013: It's that time of year: come on in, goldfish!
 

How odd to see the petunias blooming now! Two roses and the dahlia.


The bird feeders are out.

Can you see the plane? Just a lovely day.


In town, they are flushing the hydrants.



Trouble in Perth!

11 comments:

Powell River Books said...

I'm sure the goldfish enjoy a winter vacation to a warm home. The speckled one is beautiful. - Margy

Nancy J said...

The water hydrants? Is this to make sure they are all in good working order? Yes, I saw the plane trail, and a truck driver being questioned. You are well on the way to be ready for winter.

William Kendall said...

You wonder what the goldfish think of the twice a year migration.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Welcome in fishywigs!!! We are about to be hit by a huge storm this side... sigh... YAM xx

Karen said...

Love your pond! I wish I had one but we are perched on a bit of sand on top of a BIG rock.
Two of my roses have big fat buds. I clipped the red one and put it in a wine goblet with some sugar water. Might go out and clip the white one too if the rain lets up.
The mister read the "S" word in an online forecast! Apparently it is going to turn really really cold before this wetness blows out of the way. My dear old mother used to say we couldn't have Indian Summer until a few flakes fell.

Red said...

I think you're rushing the winter thing. Let's hang on to summer as long as we can.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It still looks like lovely Fall weather there, but I’m sure it won’t be for long. Do you have a house aquarium for the fish in the winter? Why do they drain the hydrants?

Jenn Jilks said...

We do have a 60 gallon aquarium. Goldfish are big poopers and they require it!

"Hydrant flushing is the quick release of water from fire hydrants. ... It ensures adequate water flow is available to fire fighters, residents and businesses. It also helps maintain the City's water clarity and quality by clearing iron and mineral deposits from the water mains (distribution pipes)."

Anvilcloud said...

They are pretty fish. It must be nice to see them better over the winter.

Debbie said...

the fish are beautiful and that looks like a pretty fish tank!!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thank you for answering my questions Jennifer~ more fun to hear from you than to use Google (for the hydrant question)... and obviously I was in too big a hurry when I didn't notice the aquarium in the first pictures.... lovely post and well worth looking at again. Thanks again.