Friday 14 July 2017

Monday, July 10th canoodle

That was a three-hour adventure! It was a bit too long, 7.6 km, seeing as I walked to my canoe. I am achy. I was proud to manage 5km/hr. paddling into the wind, along one stretch. The GPS is quite the thing. You have to keep paddling, or you'll be sent backwards. You get into a rhythm and it was quite enjoyable. I made it to Jebbs Creek, which was my goal.

I didn't see many critters, really. I suppose a thousand ants don't count. They were in under my old life jacket. I put the jacket in the water to get them off. Then, they were crawling all over the canoe. AGH!

I'm not sure if I saw 5 or 6 herons, or 3 a couple of times. It was following Jebbs Creek as I paddled, I think, but then I'd come around a corner and see another heron. Or the same one!
The osprey was interesting. On the way around the peninsula, I spotted an osprey, who took off. On the way back, it seems the osprey was back on its perch, then it flew across the lake, dragging its talons across the water.

One dude roared by me on his boat. The swells were pretty high as it was, and he didn't bother to slow down. I was not impressed. It's usually quiet on Monday mornings, which is a good thing. The tourists gone back to the city.

It was a dull day, until I was almost back at the dock. Then Mr. Sun came out!

12 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You must be reasonably fit.

Jenn Jilks said...

I suppose I am 'reasonably fit,' I'm just a ton overweight, Anvilcloud! You are kind to say!
I blame the antidepressants, but the alternative isn't an option! I work out 30 minutes most days on the elliptical. I lift 12 lb. hand weights in winter to keep my arms in shape!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, you took all these photos from the canoe. Great sightings and photos. I love the osprey! Happy Friday, have a great day and weekend!

DUTA said...

Well done!
Work out may or may not help with weightloss. Low-calorie nutrition and 7-hours sleep is the ultimate formula for weightloss.

Olga said...

I have just lately been nostalgic for the canoe/camping trips Mike and I used to take. Lovely pictures brought back the good and the not so good (for me, the bugs).

Cloudia said...

What a fine adventure! Thanks for taking us along

William Kendall said...

A brooding sort of day to be out on the water.

Nancy J said...

Photo #2, beautiful under the trees, and YES, you are fit, And brave to go out there by yourself, I would have a huge sign to wave,," WATER POLICE, Reduce Speed Immediately"!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow Jenn ... fantastic.
Well done on the canoeing and well done for some lovely photographs.
A great mix.

My good wishes for the coming weekend.

All the best Jan

Red said...

Sold my canoe in the name of down sizing. I,ve regretted it .

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful ride in spite of the ants -- gorgeous scenery -- you sure are in great shape!

Karen said...

we hauled up our little tin boat and gave it a good cleaning yesterday. Two snakes and an ants nest had to be evicted! I can't paddle anymore, thanks to my Uncle Arthur Itiss, but discovered the kayak late last fall. I'm just waiting for the sales and plant to buy one. They are so easy to maneuver and an effortless paddle.