Monday 2 January 2017

Here we are in 2017

Well, it is a new year. There was good, bad and ugly. There were great moments. The trick is to focus on the good and the great, look forward, and look positively to this, as a new chapter. Too many kept saying 2016 is cursed, but we are living longer, better, healthier lives, and death is not a surprise!

There was a lot to be grateful for, and I nod at those people, moments and times. I learned a lot, about myself, as well. I vow to keep on reading, researching, thinking, playing, and writing.

Turning 60 was interesting. More of a whimper, than a bang. It sort of snuck up on me! I've found many of my blog buddies who keep calling me the "young 'un," which is heartening. They continue to dazzle me with their endeavours; their travels, hobbies, birding ventures. You know who you are! I have a few good years left! As I look at the changes in society, the rampant disrespect for elders, for example, I think of how much seniors have been accomplishing. Ageism still rears its ugly head, all we can do is laugh.

Hubby's health, happily, has settled into a slow rise in cancer cells. Every day above ground is a good day, at this point, when I recall the 1 surgery (Jan., 2014),  2 MRIs, 5 CT scans, 3 Bone Scans, 2 biopsies, as well as endless, monthly PSA tests. They were monthly, then quarterly, and now every 6 months. So far, so good. We can manage this. He's doing all the right things for his health and I am proud of him. We try to eschew the negative and embrace the good things that surround us. This truly helps. We still debate and discuss issues, but we realize the difference between the things we can change and the things we cannot. We never complain about the weather. We both LIKE shovelling snow!
I wonder if I agree with these?
Probably not!

I'm on the upside of this bronchial virus. Thank you all for asking about me. I'm into my 6th week of a cough, but it is letting up and did NOT go bacterial, thanks to my puffers. I am grateful for that! Back to forest walks, and more energy, this is good.

There is much to look forward to. There is a lot that I will recognize drags me down, I will let go of negativity, I love a good debate, but snarky has to go. It only hurts. I'm not hiding my head in the sand, but letting go the negative.

I don't have any resolutions, nor any fabulous goals. I am content to enjoy each day. The cats, the birds, the deer and other critters in our forest. Life is what you make of it.

8 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

Well said, Jennifer. Stay calm and carry on. And we have to keep our sense of humour or we're screwed! So nice to see you and your hubby taking care of each other. Keep up the good work and keep posting.

Ed said...

Happy New Year and the best always to you and your hubby Jenn.

DUTA said...

Very well written post!
For me a good year is one without any losses (human or financial) and without significant health issues. In this respect 2016 was a good year and hope 2017 to be as good and even better.

Nancy J said...

Dear Jenn, your words are inspiring and from your heart. I have, for some time, avoided the negative, the wars, the destruction and devastation, I will not watch these on TV, and can almost close my ears to the TV presenters who bombard us with bad news. I don't have any goals, other than to keep my feet on the floor at home, avoid any late night or early morning trips, continue with the 150 Canadian Women blocks, admiring each one as we read about their lives. What courage to be a pioneer in any field.Love the photos of your back yard. Take care as your winter continues.

Silver in AZ said...

Letting go of the negative and embracing the positive sums up all potential new years resolutions, any year. Kudos!

William Kendall said...

That is a very good way to look at things.

Red said...

You are going through tough times but are managing to look at things in a positive way. A 6 week cough would do me in.

Anvilcloud said...

You have a good attitude. I hate that. #kidding