Monday 14 November 2016

Emmanuel Anglican Church Cemetery

Emmanuel Anglican Church Cemetery

This Emmanuel Anglican Church consists of a one-storey Cambrian sandstone structure with a front steeple. It is located at 2767 Highway 15 in the Village of Portland. The Emmanuel Anglican Church was constructed in 1861 by William Willoughby, J. Horton and J. Earl and is reflective of early rural church architecture along the Rideau Canal. The Township of Bastard and South Burgess recognizes the heritage values of the Emmanuel Anglican Church in By-law No. 601.
We stopped for gas. It was the Sunday before Remembrance Day. The wreaths caught my attention.



Then, the stones caught my attention. Mr. Bolton has no date of death, despite being born in 1834.


Lots of young people, infants, and many old, old stones.

7 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Cemeteries are good places to,learn and reflect. Nowadays most people choose cremation ... I suppose future generations will just do all their research on line. It won't offer the same reflective spirit though.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Cemeteries hold so much history... and mystery! YAM xx

Debbie said...

i always feel a deep sadness in a cemetery, i can't seem to bring myself to appreciate them!!!

Nancy J said...

A stone monument seems so little to remember a person's life. But for many, a place to go, to grieve, to remember happy times together, and for distant relatives ,to know someone is buried there safely.

William Kendall said...

Mr Bolton's grave must be a glitch... no one's that old!

When he does pass on, they're going to have to adjust the birthdate. I'm assuming 1934 is more realistic.

Red said...

when I stop in a cemetery that is unfamiliar to me I always wonder what the people were like. What did they do? What's their story?

Jenn Jilks said...

I think Mr. Bolton has left us, I think he's already dead, and they forgot to engrave it! His wife was born 1872 - died 1941!