Friday 15 April 2016

On my way to the pond...

I spotted this fun pair of chickadees. They've been building a hole in a dead sumac tree trunk. Isn't it funny?



Here is the action. If you watch to the end you will hear gunfire. In the back 500 (beyond our property) is the Recertifying range for the OPP. We do our part by tolerating the noise of a dozen men and women, in uniform, being tested for the year. It goes on for a few days a week all summer.
Chickadees from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Even funnier, I saw a pair of chickadees do this in Bala, in April 2010, videotaped from my living room window. The video show Sadie cat walking along the neighbour's driveway. Then, at the end, Oliver cat watching the nesting pair. They eventually gave up and went elsewhere, thankfully!


Down at the frog pond, my Wood duck friends are wary of my daily visit. The swim to the far end of the pond, then climb up onto the land, and duck walk over and down to the more secluded wetland in the trees beyond.


The mallards take off quickly and circle around the pond, watching for me to leave. At the end of the video, theOPP  gunfire, again.
Grumpy Mallards from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
Daily I visit the frog pond to check on spring's progress. The mallards take umbrage. They return, soon, however.

There is still some ice on the pond, but the wood frogs are out singing! Last night the spring peepers were peeping, as well!
Wood frogs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
Wood frogs just hang around like this, croaking and getting ready for mating season. Daisy on the dock, watching the water.


And the sad news

Dorah hiding from Buster
These will be the last two photos of Buster. Scolding, time outs, Feliway, Prozac didn't work out. My blood pressure was up as he tried to attack Dorah for the last time. I woke up to let him inside, after midnight. Gave him some food and I could see his tail twitching and he was ready for attack. Right under the bed, where Dorah hides from him. It was the last straw. I put him in the dog cage to protect Dorah until we decided what to do.

We took him to the vet and had him put down. Rehoming wasn't an option, as he is a wanderer. There are a couple dozen cats at LAWS who NEED homes. We cried. The vets were amazing, especially our Dr. Sara. They could have found him a home in a local barn, with two other cats, but since even Pickles (a wandering unneutered summer cat)  chases him here, he would be a victim. It was a good death. We were with him.
 Now to help Dorah stop hiding in the bedroom, and get back to her 'normal.' It's going to take some time.

15 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Aw ... you did your best.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jen! Love the chickadees. I am glad Dora can feel safe now. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Hilary said...

I'm so sorry, Jennifer. I know how tough that must be on you two. :( Hugs to you both.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You gave him every chance and tried as hard as you could. Dora will recover completely with your love and the new-found serenity in her world. Your chickadees are adorable; you're good with that video camera -- bit of envy here (but I wouldn't have as many daily reasons to use it as you do since we don't live in such a naturally beautiful setting!)

William Kendall said...

I'm very sorry about Buster.

DUTA said...

Sorry for your loss of Buster.
It's hard decision to put your pet down, but sometimes it's the only choice.

Red said...

Awesome new header. Chickadees can dig out a lot of tree for the size of them.

Nancy J said...

Buster will be happy again in his own little heaven, a hard decision, but a caring vet with you all. Everyone will get back to feeling safe soon enough. Down here,cold mornings, lighting the fire at 6 a.m. 2C outside, a message that our winter is getting closer. Hugs from NZ. p.s. what is your favourite colour??

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh Jenn, so sorry to hear about Buster, but it sounds like he had become a bit feral and your decision, though heart-breaking, was surely the right one. Now for building quieter and happier days with the three who remain... YAM xx
(Still finalising a few things this end for June, but nearly done!)

Out To Pasture said...

What a cute video of the chickadees excavating a home in the sumac. Makes me glad that the sumac I've planted is thriving.

Sorry to hear that all the tries to repair Buster's aggression didn't work. You certainly did your best and made, I think, the right decision in the end. You have my sympathy and I'm glad you shared this experience with us.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jen, this was a great critter post. I love the chickadees and the wood ducks. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

It is always hard to have an animal put Down but I think you did the best thing. I hope you have a nice weekend.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Jenn, I'm so sorry it had to be done. I remember when Buster and Felix were kittens.
Hugs to you and JB, and I'm sure it won't be long before another cute cat discovers your cat-friendly home.
Lots of love, K

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely to watch the chickadees.

Sad for Buster, but hopefully Dora will feel much safer now

Powell River Books said...

So sorry for the loss of Buster. He reminded me a bit of our old Stick Tail in looks. I know it was a hard decision. - Margy