Thursday 7 April 2016

Days of the feline reunion

Daisy on a 'walk'

Monday, April 4th – Day One of Cat Reunion

Buster had his time out at the 'cat spa.' Dorah had her 8-day time out. Both came back relaxed. My blood pressure is down, as well. This is a good thing!

We're all back together. With the Polar Vortex dumping freezing cold temperatures, it's put us off a bit. Buster has been much calmer. He's been outside for a few hours in the night, and in the afternoon. Dorah sees Buster and growls like mad. He has just about ignored her. This may take time!

We have a plan.

  • Both cats (Buster & Dorah) get their meds at dinnertime. 
  • When the good weather comes, we encourage Buster (13 lbs.) to go out at night.
  • Dinnertime is wet food, anything they want. 
  • Forget dieting for Annie (10 lbs,) and Dorah (15 lbs.) 
  • Daisy (7 lbs.) eats crunchies whenever. 
  • Annabelle goes outside whilst the two eat and get their meds in.
  • Separate forest walkies for Buster and Daisy.
  • Dorah is a happy house cat. 


Day two Tuesday

Things have been strangely calm. Dorah doesn't like her crunchies, but hopefully we remain firm.  Buster was out in the night, but came in around 2:00 a.m., as it was -10 C., and Dorah remained on the bed.
I took Daisy down to the frog pond for a walk on Tuesday. When I turned around, I found Buster and no Daisy.
He was hungry, it was 5:00 p.m. and I was depressurizing from my afternoon with my client. I spotted two bullfrog tadpoles. Big one, ready to metaporphosize this year! We had a banner year for them last year. The Wood duck nesting box looks good, although I could add more tree shavings!



Back up at the house I sat in the warm sunshine. There were 5 or 6 turkey vultures doing slow circles overhead. And, yes, I must remember to clean my zoom lens! (Non-mental note!)


Days 3 

Things are calm. Dorah spent the day on the bed. The deer were about and a sure sign of spring, one yearling shows signs of sprouting his antlers. See the ground. No snow.


Happily, whilst all relaxed before the snowfall, I went down to see what the trailcam had on it. 
No sign of the muskrat, and there were spots on the pond where the ice had broken. I was curious as to who might have been visiting. I was very excited to see a photo of the male wood duck, as well as both McGregor Muskrat and Wood duck in the same frame!


Day 4 Wednesday

We had 6 cm snow during the course of the afternoon, and into the evening. I trimmed his toe nails, as well as Daisy's, while Dorah had dinner in bed.

Not a good day to get cats outside. Buster was mushy and spent the evening sitting on my lap while we watched American Idol. It was good to sit quietly and BE idle!

The artificiality of the show saddens me, the way they manipulate the performers, the performance and the audience. We see it as a free concert.



The robin looked so sad! City folks can feed them shopped grapes, apples, raisins, blueberries, putting them out on the ground. My robins are very happy with the sumac berries! One pair stayed all winter. Several others turned up when the snow melted.


We are wrestling with this problem, but I think we are making progress. I am giving a concerted effort to have Buster sit with me. I am taking him on solitary walks, too. Dorah, bless her feisty little heart. She's doing OK. I did her toe nails, which made her growly. So far, so good.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Are you not nervous about letting Buster out and about at night?

Cloudia said...

Trust nature to heal us! Wishing you good B.P.

William Kendall said...

The snow was quite a surprise!

Anvilcloud said...

You must have great patience, plus a deep pocketbook. :)

Powell River Books said...

Between cats, critters and birds you have a full schedule. Hope all says calm and well. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

@Karen I'm not! When we kept him in at night he would spray and be a pain-in-the-arse. He was even more of a bully. At night, he's on his own. I've found him 3km away along the highway in the daytime. They are pretty aware of the critters around them. I cannot keep him in.

Jenn Jilks said...

@Anvilcould We have a good line-of-credit, from when we had to get some bridge financing!