Tuesday 5 April 2016

Another cold one!

What a time it has been. It is not unusual to have snow, but these have been extreme temperatures. It's been -10 C.  in the night time, and barely zero in the day. Silly me, I had to clean the BBQ. I should have done it last week! I was frozen.

Meantime, hubby's been happily tracking the World Men's Curling Championships. Both the Finland and Norway have colourful characters!



Daisy and I went walkies whilst Buster slept. Meantime, down at the frog pond the water froze overnight, with -10 C. temperatures. That didn't stop our mallards from arriving. They usually pause here until they decide to go elsewhere and make nests. The first pair of Wood ducks must be ticked off with the cold.


Also down at the pond, the first phoebe I've seen. They usually have a nest here, with the tons and tons of bugs! The vultures circle, looking for food. McGregor Muskrat still seems to be around.
Daisy and I circled the frog pond.


 This is a strange tree on the point, growing up over a fallen tree, which is slowly rotting. Many critters like that it's hollow. Daisy checks out the smells, with a very pouffy tail!


Our ice storm left this wonderful White pine tree with fallen branches.


Back at the house, I counted 75 starlings between the back, side and front yards. As I was in the kitchen prepping dinner, I looked out the window. A pileated woodpecker came  by. In his 2nd photo you can see his tongue! Then he flew away, appearing to levitate off the ground.

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, It is cold here too, way below normal.
I love your cute kitty and the Pileated Woodie. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

William Kendall said...

Strange that areas to the south have had snow and we're all well established in colder temperatures instead.

Red said...

You can keep your starlings.We have very few starling and we also have very few birds.

Nancy J said...

Not as cold as you are, but 3.5C and getting colder at 5 a.m.!!! Maybe the bird got a bite and flew straight upwards, or was he just plain showing off his skills. Stay warm.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your header shot is absolutely stunningly beautiful.

I can't believe the weather this year; its terrible that it is still so cold in April.

But you still see the fun and the beauty and for that I deeply admire you.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yup it's crazy climates this side too... what a great walkie!!! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

My mind has also been on bbq-ing. Mind you, I haven't gotten as far as doing anything about it.

Crafty Green Poet said...

great photos of the woodpecker and of Daisy too!