Monday 4 January 2016

The hunt is on! Hunt #2

No, not deer hunt, shed hunt. Venture #2. Our buck has lost his second antler, and I took off this morning looking for it. I know they cover miles and miles, but you never know. Besides, last night the temperatures were dropping from this Sunday's ZERO (32 F.)  to -18 C. and I thought I'd best get out while I could. Happily, getting back into routines, getting exercise, keeping up the fire, I've lost a kg. Hubby is no longer fetching me wonderful meals from town, and I can get back to normal cooking. It's been a trial. I am so grateful to be on the mend. I have much empathy for my client with COPD. It's a horrible feeling not being able to breath. She is in hospital now.

Lots of deer tracks,
about 2" ice
WHOOPS
The other side of the gully,
with the holes in the ice!
Buster declined to come with me. Dweeb. I purposefully let him out, to give him a chance at walkies, but he meowed at me from the driveway and waved me on, then begged JB to let him in. He still doesn't play well with others. We just keep him busy and he's on a new chewy medication.

My trek was not without trials and tribulations. I followed various deer tracks, hoping for the best. I could tell where they slept overnight (there were lots of deer beds). The snow was quite soft and the walking wasn't too bad. I didn't need snowshoes, despite the 6" of snow.

However, when I made it to the other side of the hill, cruised around, Bambi has circled around back to the bog. Do you know that sound? That tell-tale crack of breaking ice? Yes. The 150 - 200 lb. deer had been crossing back and forth, but I sunk. It was the closest non-soaker ever. The water went right up to the tops of my boots. They were JB's boots, insulated, and tall. Thankfully. I was SO close to a soaker and it would have been a cold one.


As it was, I had to take my foot out of the boot, then I fell on my bottom. Removed the boot, with that awfully smelling sucking sound as I yanked with all my might! Then the other, and I was free. Snickering at myself, I'll tell you.

Carrying on my way, I managed 1.9 km. While one buck has lost his antlers, they are still marking trail. I'm hoping to find Tigger's later. We shall see.
It was a lovely trek. I would stop, get my breath back, marvel at the trees with the green pine needles, and the cold places where the deer hunkered down.

My book, Whitetail Savvy, tells me that young 'uns will hunker down near momma, and you can see the beds with spots touching. I think this is our doe with her twins. The one twin is always lagging behind, last to leave as the others have moved on, down into a gully, or off into the forest.


It's amazing the ups and the downs. I didn't go far, but there are a lot of hills.


Sunday's trail in red. The other day in turquoise.

6 comments:

Nancy J said...

You might have been there squelching for some time!!! Maybe carry a whistle!!! Lots of snow, for you the cold is normal in January, but would you believe, we are in the middle of summer and at almost 6 a.m. we have only 3.7 Celsius and it has been dropping for the last hour!!! Take care when you next go down to the woods to play.

Out To Pasture said...

Isn't 'reading' the snow great? And every so often a fresh fall of snow makes for brand new pages to be written on by wild feet. Poor Buster does not seem to be enjoying the winter so much.

William Kendall said...

At least you didn't get too wet!

Red said...

Great that you're feeling better...maybe too good if you're frisky enough to fall through the ice. It's a bummer when you have to pull your boots out of the muck. You were lucky you didn't get wet.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Sorry, but had a little schnigger at the image of Jenn, bootless, in a frozen pond! Am very glad you didn't get wet though... last thing you need as you fight off that lurgy. YAM xx

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

That was quite the hunt, so glad you survived the almost soaker and the fall on the bum. It created quite the visual picture. Where was the person with the camera when you were posing so graciously.