Monday 11 January 2016

My sickbed reading list!

I had a terrible time leading up to Christmas. Twice seeking medical help, once in the emergency room, once into the doctor. Everyone, it seems, has this horrid cough. Some say croup. I keep track of the books my book club peeps write, usually saving just the image, in a simple photo file. It works well! I emailed the list to hubby. He fled to the library for me as I was flat on my back, resting like a cabbage roll.

I must thank those who do these reviews. It was a godsend checking the book club reviews and finding something for hubby to bring home from the library!

These are some of the books I read!



I saw the movie on TV before I read the book. It wasn't so bad to do so, which is unusual! 
I liked both, but preferred the novel. I like creating the story in my mind. It was a good read.



reviewed by: Patricia Abbott
It was reviewed by a buddy: Patricia Abbott, and I agree with her. I was terribly ill, mind you, and quite happy to have books to read!
The detective's case involves another single mother and her horrific past.This was an interesting storyline although the author relied way too heavily on a red herring. The second storyline didn't come together until the end and the motivations were not all that persuasive. It was hard to believe a woman as reasonable and rational as this detective would deprive her children of any mention of their father or his family. 


Loved The Goldfinch...
Excellent review
As Ellen wrote in her review,
A little Salinger, a little Updike. A hefty dose of Dickens. But mostly, Donna Tartt—this is the only book of hers I've read (she's written three novels, one a decade) and she's high in my pantheon now.
It's gotten good reviews from several of my blog book club cohort.

Jan 8, 2014 ... The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt opens, literally, with a bang. A bomb explodes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York killing Theo's ...
blog.sarahlaurence.com

Then there is this author!


    This was an amazing read. I like mysteries. It is timeless, despite being published in 1996, it helps one appreciate the leg work required to solve a mystery. It is simpler with data bases in the Age of Technology, but solving a case requires time, energy and patience, unlike the myths of the modern TV shows where a mystery is solved in an hour! George is a prolific author.

    GenresSuspense, Mystery




This was a fabulous book.

The Dressmaker of Khair Khana
by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon
This was an excellent book, based on the lifestyle of amazing women entrepreneurs in Afghanistan. It is a very hard life.
The author spent years doing interviews and research. I learned a lot from this fictionalized, yet truly biographical story.


This book, I sent back to the library. I didn't really like it!

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, thanks for all the reviews. I hope all is well now, take care. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Out To Pasture said...

Sorry you were so ill, Jennifer. Sounds like the same bug my brother has been battling this winter. My favourite book was "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. The characters of the novel were so vivid that I keep wondering how they are doing today as if they really existed.

Nancy J said...

A good book or 2 or more is excellent therapy, and so much better when you have " The List" to be taken to the library. Well done Mr J. I do hope you are heaps better, Jennifer, and this will not return.

William Kendall said...

Reading's a good way to get through being sick. I'm still feeling the lingering effects of being ill over the holidays... I'm thinking I had strep throat.

DUTA said...

When I'm ill I cannot enjoy reading or any similar activity. The only thing I want is to sleep. Sleeping does me good. Anyway, I would like to get hold of the Dressmaker book. Sounds interesting.

Red said...

I haven't read any of these. I just finished All the Light we Cannot See. None of my predictions about where the story would go were correct.

Powell River Books said...

I got The Climb about Everest as a Christmas present and read it while on our New Years trip to Los Angeles. In the last two days I read The Mountain Story by Lori Lansen. The novel was set on Mount San Jacinto near Palm Springs where where we landed. It's a survival story with lots of strong characters including a teen and a family of three, a mother, daughter and granddaughter. Wayne read it on his Kindle first, and then shared it with me. - Margy

Crafty Green Poet said...

Sorry you weren't well, hope you feel better now