Thursday 2 July 2015

Book Review: Under a Dark Summer Sky

Alligator in Florida
courtesy of Snowbird Dale Peacock!
Yesterday, a day of clouds and rain, ironically. I was under a dark summer sky. I knocked off early and began reading this book. I was in the Muskoka Room, with Daisy sleeping beside me in her cat bed and Annabelle on my lap. The bugs are really bad and I was happy to be behind the screen!

It was a cool day, and having done vacuuming, and gathered garbage, I decided I would take it easy!

I adored this book. It was a page-turner. It is well-written, and I didn't spot any editing errors, which is a good sign to my mind.

The setting was amazing, with rich similes and metaphors colouring the prose. I don't need to take it apart, as it was one of those books where I was taken to another place. It worked beautifully!

I've only spent two days and one night in Florida. Hubby whisked me away Dec. 25/26 for a birthday treat. This was a wonderful trip both in time and place. It is timely, as there is much in the news about the way we treat both older and more recent veterans.


Vanessa Lafaye
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: June 9, 2015
$14.99 USD
400 pages
Trade Paperback
Fiction / Historical / General
5.5 in W | 8.3 in H
9781492612506, 1492612502

Contributor Bio: Vanessa Lafaye is a Florida native, now living in the UK. She has worked for nearly 30 years in academic publishing, for Oxford University Press, Blackwell Publishing, and Wiley. She has published numerous articles in British broadsheets, and several short stories. She lives in Wiltshire. This is her first novel.
Summary: The Help meets The Perfect Storm in this debut novel set in 1935 in the broiling Florida Keys
Heron Key is already weighed down with secrets when a random act of violence and a rush to judgment viscerally tear the town apart. As the little island burns under the sun and the weight of its inhabitants' secrets, a devastating storm approaches, matching the volatile atmosphere in the town with the unstable sky above. Beautifully written and seductive,Under a Dark Summer Sky is at once a glorious love story, a fascinating slice of social history, and a mesmerizing account of what it's like to be in the eye of a hurricane.
Click here to see more

5 comments:

Nancy J said...

A good book is one that you cannot put down, the author makes you feel you are there, and you feel the emotions . Apart from the alligator, looks good. Do you find a spelling error, or grammar mistake, jumps out?? I once found an error in a travel book about Alaska, it was the amount of snowfall in one area in a day. I emailed the editors and they sent a lovely reply.

William Kendall said...

This is the first time I've heard of it. A good review!

Red said...

The title indicates a foreboding message!

Debbie said...

i am not a reader but i am sure those who are, will appreciate your review!!!

Kay said...

I've never heard of this. It sounds really interesting. I've been reading The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect which I'm really enjoying.