Sunday 8 February 2015

It's a deer mouse, a Saw-whet owl and Bambi drinking!

I walked up to the step, spotted a deer mouse in the corner. Before I shooed it away I turned on the videocamera and left it running. Sure enough, captured it on the video. It was amazingly fast (2.6 run) and I repeated the clip, slowing it down with iMovie. Repeating it at different speeds.


Deermouse from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Then the Saw-whet owl

What a treat to see: a Saw-whet owl in my front yard. It slept here all day, but was gone the next morning. They are nocturnal. It returned a couple of days later, hunting said Deer mice!


Saw-whet owl from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
I'd spotted the deer sucking up some water at the birdbath. The heater works well. I clean it regularly, thankfully!

Bambi birdbath from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

13 comments:

Hilary said...

Fun.. I like how you did that with the deer mouse video.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, the mouse ran so quickly.. I love the Saw-whet owl, awesome sighting.. And the deer is so cute! Happy Sunday!

Nancy J said...

How fast the mouse ran, what was the noise clunking? Slow motion, what a great way for us to see it. And a heated bird bath, or is this purely for Bambi? Take care if shovelling. We had wonderful sunshine yesterday, the cool snap has gone again.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, a perfect parade of deermouses, requiring only one mouse-actor to play all the parts.
And I couldn't see the little owl until you zoomed 'way in, Jenn. Almost perfect camouflage.
What a wonderful idea, a heated birdbath for Bambi. I don't suppose very many birds want to bathe during your winter temps.
Really enjoyed this post.
Luv, K

Jenn Jilks said...

I couldn't even see the mouse in the video at regular speed, Hilary!
The bath was for the birds, but Bambi likes it, too!
I'm not sure the noise! SOmething might have blown over in the wind.

Powell River Books said...

That's why they are so hard to catch, literally. - Margy

Red said...

That was a super catch. You have to be ready for these things. Deer mice are very beautiful little critters, Here they carry hanta virus from time to time.

William Kendall said...

That mouse was fast!

The owl looks quite content resting.

And I'm sure the deer appreciate the water!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Oh what wonders to watch first thing on Monday morning!!! Loved the sound effects of the mouse - made it very dramatic! Owly is simply purty and loved how one could see the water level drop as it left the bath and entered Bambi!!! thanks Jenn!!! YAM xx

EG CameraGirl said...

OH MY!!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful nature shots!

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

I have lost track of how much snow total over 60" ~ too much in short time!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

The owl is very exciting! Love it!

Ela said...

Amazing videos !!!