Friday 20 February 2015

Friday sketches and thoughts

I showed my client my antler collection!
We compared them, admired their structure.
When my kids were small manufacturers began to design and produce various tools, games and write books that would teach you:
  • how to potty train your child in 3 days
  • how to teach your child to read at age 3.
These days they are creating all sorts of Brain Gym exercises for seniors. It is very healthy to pursue various hobbies. Retired, there is much pressure these days to purchase these brain builders, brain boosters, which are purportedly designed to prevent dementia. As if! 

The important thing is to eat balanced meals, mostly plants; exercise body, mind and spirit; get outdoors; play in nature; have some hobbies (blogging, photographing lifers, daycations); volunteer. 
I usually have a daily routine. I find it really helps. First, I post a blog article (usually with a cat beside me!), read on-line news, visit other bloggers who have posted a comment on my blog, exercise, shovel snow/cut grass (as required!), feed the birds, go for a forest walk, brush and play with the cats. It's been so cold (-20 C.), and I think I'm experiencing Seasonal Affective Disorder, as I haven't been outside in the sunshine as much. It's a tough time of year for many.
She's painted, and sold,
 hundreds of canes!

I always try to do a sketch at my client's house. He always inspects it, too! His wife was a wonderful folk artist, painting and selling more than 500 canes. No more, as dementia has taken that skill away. He is unconditionally supportive for my silly drawings. He is a thoughtful man.

Our Lanark County fences!
My blog buddy, EGCameraGirl, posted a photo of a scene. I found it inspiring. Her recent photos have been as stark and white as my part of southern Ontario. She has a keen eye. 

Incorporating the veggie garden, and some (feeble) deer and a snowman, it was a peaceful moment of meditation. (Yes, I failed to master meditation! Those mind worms, and that devil on my shoulder, telling me I am making a mistake!)

I used to have to teach art to my elementary students. It was much fun, as most of them were as amateur as I am. There was always a brilliant artist in my classroom. We used them as our inspiration. I think that's what I miss most about my classroom community. 

EGCameraGirl
We were stuck together for a school year, some hell or high water, and we learned together. The gifted, the bullied, the learning disabled, the 'average', and those living in dysfunctional families; all of us were there to make it through the school cycle of the year. We were a team.

EGCameraGirl, for fine photos of southern Ontario.
Visit Paint Party Friday for inspiration.
Good Fences, with Theresa.

15 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great post, Jen! I am longing for some warm sunny days to get outside..I love your drawing and I also enjoy visiting EG's blog. Her photos are awesome.. Enjoy your day!

TexWisGirl said...

i bet it was a lot of fun to teach art to the kids. a fun sketch you did from her wintry photos!

Faye said...

I enjoyed your post so much, especially your remarks about the class being a team through thick and thin the whole school year. I also enjoyed seeing your delightful snow scene. It looks like my back yard, which I wish was green instead of white.

William Kendall said...

I do like that Lanark County sketch. Quite playful!

Leslie's Garden said...

I love your little drawing! I like your feeble deer:) I think you're right it is very important to have a hobby to keep you young. I worry about being able to do mine when I get older. Afraid of losing eyesight and dexterity in my fingers. Already have some arthritis, yikes!

Nancy J said...

Routine is so necessary when younger and out the front gate every morning on time. Once that demand has gone, I wonder how many "retired" people find they are so much busier than before. My photography, blog, comments, friends emails, garden, and family care take up huge chunks of every day, I think the answer is to be accepting of each day as it unfolds .Your sketches ( and photos and the videos too) always entertain me , and for those you visit, this must also be fun and happiness to them as well. Hugs as you shovel that snow!!

Christine said...

very cute, wintry page Jenn! Happy PPF!

Christine said...

very cute wintry page Jenn! I read recently that a routine makes time go by faster than it should so we should change things around sometimes. So saying, I love routine.

Powell River Books said...

For mind exercise I am always reading, and love games and puzzles. I'm back on Sudoku after a binge of solitaire. I have the hobbies list pretty well in order, but need to up my better eating habits and exercise. Go for my annual physical next month. - Margy

Kay L. Davies said...

I always enjoy your drawings, Jenn, but I must admit I'm particularly partial to photos of your cats.
Hugs to all of you...
K

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Horrid winter. We even had freezing weather here in SW Florida -- orange juice will cost more next year.

Red said...

This is a good ramble of thoughts. yes, seniors have to keep active, physically socially and mentally. I've seen some who more or less just sit there. they are very unhappy campers. My Dad built fences (illegally ) in Phoenix until his early 80's

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Routine is an anchor to stabilise and a discipline to realise. All the more important when there is not the collegiality one had in working life.

Your picture makes me smile. Always welcome! YAM xx

Studio Kaufmann said...

Love your cute little sketch.I feel my brain is going from all the time I spend on the computer! Happy PPF

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous post Jen!
xxx
ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE