Friday 15 August 2014

Book Review: JEX MALONE

I don't often read book for teens, but I did like this one! She is a modern-day Nancy Drew teenager. I quite was intrigued by the story line and the mystery. I think mysteries are a good way to get youngsters to read more. Myself, I read to relax and escape the mundane life I lead! This worked for me.

This is a well-constructed plot, with strong female characters. Well, varied characters. Crafted with a tongue-in-cheek style, you can picture these girls living the life. What I enjoyed about growing up in inner city Toronto was the variety of socioeconomic influences on me and my family. Our heroes are such. Rich and poor, smart and shallow Valley Girl!

There are sub-themes, which touch on divorce, custody and access issues, featuring believable teenagers, but all of the characters have heart. This book would appeal to both their parents, and female readers age 12 and up. It's a good clean mystery, with a touch of the naughty in it. A genuine teen psyche in our hero, but one with some fun adventures!


  http://s3.amazonaws.com/siteninja/site-ninja1-com/1398727710/medium/jex_malone_cvr3-page-001.jpgJex Malone by C.L. Gaber & V.C. Stanley (Merit Press/ F+W Media, June 2014) - It’s Nancy Drew meets Stand By Me when a precocious 17-year-old is grudgingly sent to live with her homicide detective father.  Despite her loner attitude, Jex Malone quickly makes friends with two outcasts.  When Jex begins digging into her dad’s cold-case files, she stumbles upon the unsolved murder that ruined her parents’ marriage.   With her newfound friends, Jex pushes the envelope on solving the case and soon realizes someone might now want her to reveal the truth.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

as a young girl, i read lots of nance drew. as an adult, as you know, i am not a reader!!

i knit, to relax....you may know that already ;)

ps...moonstruck does have elevators for guests and dumbwaiters for the servers. it's an awesome eatery!!!

Red said...

As a middle school language arts teacher , I read dozens of junior fiction books every yer as we were always trying to add more junior fiction stories to the approved curriculum list.

Cloudia said...

thanks for the tip, Jenn!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

William Kendall said...

I haven't heard of it, but not having kids, that's to be expected.