Wednesday 23 July 2014

Lily bug beetles - they have won!

larvae
 I have something to admit. I've lost the Lily Bug Beetle Battle.
(Say that fast three times!)
lily beetles
I've been religiously spraying Neem oil on them, until this past couple of weeks. It is an amazing preventative, but you must be vigilant (every 5 - 7 days when the larvae are hatching). I stomp on them when I see them, or feed them to the goldfish.  They like the larvae, poo or no poo!
Voracious!

This one was toast.
Then spray plants with the leaf shine. It works wonders.I was negligent with the Neem oil
But, I was distracted with family stuff.
On each half-chewed leaf, you will see this awful sight. This is the larvae, covered in its own poo! It is so sick.



Lily bug larvae from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
This video is about Lily bug larvae. The lily bugs have won. I was negligent with the Neem oil, which keeps them at bay. They house themselves in their own poo, my goldfish like them.

More resources:

Lily Leaf Beetle Life Cycle from the U. Mass. They say, "This pest will only lay its eggs on true lilies and Fritillaria species."

Ottawa Orchid Society’s Fact Sheet on Neem

9 comments:

Judy said...

Gross things!!! Good for your goldfish!!!

William Kendall said...

I've never heard of them before.

Red said...

Sometimes when you know too much it stinks!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
Two more amazing posts Jenn! One thing am missing from Oz & India is the range of bugs... shearing? another few weeks yet!! YAM xx

Hilary said...

Oooh.. nasty. But then again, so is neem. I bought some in May because I heard that it is supposed to act as a repellent to black flies and mosquitoes. Mostly it worked as a repellent to repulse me. That stuff stinks!

Roan said...

I've never heard of a lily beetle. They are bright. The easier to stomp on them. Hope you win the battle.

eileeninmd said...

I am happy your goldfish eat them! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your day!

Debbie said...

more bugs, you seem to have a "nice" varity!! good thing for goldfish!!!

Powell River Books said...

That's a new one for me. - Margy