Wednesday 18 June 2014

Book Review: Stan by Richard Wold

This was a book I might not have picked up. It was pretty dark, not as graphic as some men's novels, but brutal in parts. The plot kept me reading until the end, which isn't true for all of the novels I read! I often wonder how these good-looking men create this bizarre world in their imaginations!

It's not a hard read, nor is it a long one, at 280 pages. Not bad for a first novel, from a businessman! The female character, Abigail, rings true. This is another thing I watch for. I want the characters to be believable, and you find this in writers who have had real-life experiences, and can redraw their characters in their work.

Richard Wold
A romantic thriller, which takes place in New York City, I pictured a dark, difficult place to live. I grew up in downtown Toronto, and I am familiar with big city framework. NY isn't a city I know, or have visited, but it rings true for me.
The main character, Stan Foster, is looking for redemption in the city, after he survives a suicide attempt which leaves him with amnesia. I won't tell any more, but the story unfolds and becomes even more and more gruesome! His antagonist is a rather hideous woman, making his characters all rather unique. It's not a bad first try.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

It does sound interesting!

Cloudia said...

Nice of you to share this first novel!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= <3

Red said...

Not my kind of book but that doesn't mean to say it isn't well written and can be enjoyed by others.

Nancy J said...

The book, I think I would try before I would buy, maybe a library borrow, sounds a bit horrific. Cheers,Jean

Debbie said...

This is a great entry for those who read, a little insight as to what they might want to pick up next!! I am not a reader but found your review interesting!