Saturday 5 April 2014

NaPoWriMo Day 5

Day 5 Prompt
Today's challenge: to write a “golden shovel.” This form was invented by Terrance Hayes in his poem, The Golden Shovel.  I wasn't feeling this one!

A lot of people like to do an ekphrastic poem – a poem inspired by or about a work of art. 
I tend to use my own photographs.
mouse in snow

Mouse in Snow

she hunkers down
hoping to be unnoticed
life is fleeting
gone in a second
lowers her face
eyes tightly closed
adrenalin pumps through her veins
fear mounts in her fragile body
she pant and puffs
...they're coming...
shadows flicker closer
'leave me alone'
wind blows
so cold

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Good imagery!

As long as the mice stay outside, that's fine with me.

Anonymous said...

I love both your photo and your poem, that little mouse running so fast, and from what?...

I tried the golden shovel. It was hard. It made for quite an awkward poem (to say the least) http://pookypoetry.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/and-then-there-was-you-my-200th-daily-poem/