Saturday 15 March 2014

Help identifying birds: clues in sight and sounds

American Robins haven't migrated this year.
Their songs have changed, though.
There are many useful tools to help identify birds. The Petersen Field Guide is one.
With the Internet being 25 years old, there is much on-line to help you.

Cornell University does All About Birds.
For example, the Purple Finch sounds. It's a combination of identifying them by visuals, remembering which males and females differ, understanding migration periods, and matching sounds with birds that are likely to be in your regions.

Daisy birding, see the bird on the wing
-upper left!

Happy Nuthatch in the sunshine!
Close-up
In the backyard, wild turkey & crow
Purple Finch
Anni's Bird Meme




This is a great series of videos, which helps us birding!

11 comments:

Adam Jones said...

I really like that Nuthatch, and the American Robin.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
So much going on round your place Jenn!! 60cm snow, mystery 'mice' and pretty, pretty birds. Hope it's a great weekend for you. YAM xx

Unknown said...

Lovely birds! Not to mention all the help you can get from other bloggers. Have a great weekend.

eileeninmd said...

Great birds and photos. Love the cute Nuthatch and Purple Finch!

Christine said...

the internet is a fabulous source of info for a great hobby like this.

Debbie said...

Great captures!! I have several books I use to I.d. My birds!!

Carver said...

Wonderful shots of the diverse birds.

Red said...

I have recommended the Cornell site for years. It's even easier to put in your pocket than Peterson's

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Oh I just love that purple finch!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm really bad a t bird song. Just don't have the ear for it.

Anni said...

Daisy, birding!!! I like that reference. Made me smile! And the Am. Robin...not migrating, you wonder why? They're so pretty.