Tuesday 23 July 2013

What a storm she was - poor wee moth

We are recovering from a stomach flu, and I'm perfectly happy to take it easy, sticking to the BRAT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Although, the bananas and applesauce are nearly gone!

It's good to just hunker down, and worry about ourselves, and let the rest of the world go by. It is a  delightful, if not a guilty pleasure, to watch TV. A lot. Gone are the days when I limited the kids couch potatoe time.
Whilst the new has been bad (if it bleeds it leads), the disasters weigh one down some days, it is good to get away from too much reality. The press conferences have been awful. I tend to watch the news conferences for a few minutes, get bored, and then shut her down.

Thankfully, the news of the safe delivery of the new prince was an uplifting story. I've read many negative comments on this story, but I do not begrudge any nation for a celebration, for traditions, history and gravitas, of a monarchy that goes back in time. There is something to be said for pomp and circumstance.  Raising royalty since 1452: How the royals bring up baby

After storms, another one July 19th, I always check out the trees. More often than not I have to clear a path, and pick up branches. Friday's storm was a doozy, with high winds, heavy rains (24mm here), right across the province. We missed the most severe part of the storm, it loses power over the land, having picked up moisture from the Great Lakes storms dump it across the province. Many in Ontario are still without power. The farmers are the worst off, with animals to milk, feed and water, milk to preserve.

This wee moth, like the as yet unnamed Prince of Cambridge, hasn't a name, either. I set it up on a cabinet, away from cats. For some reason a deerfly landed beside it.
These photos were taken with my macro lens. It looked a bit shell-shocked and I left it to dry in the sun. It was gone when I looked later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speedy recovery! I wonder what the new prince looks like.

EG CameraGirl said...

Cool shots of the moth. How nice of it to pose for you.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Get well soon! Even the nasty flu bug can't keep a good photographer down -- those are great macro shots.

Kay L. Davies said...

How nice of you to rescue the moth. Only you, Jenn, only you! That's what makes you special: your sweet, soft heart.
Hope you are both well (you and hubby, not you and the moth) very soon.
Luv, K

Jenn Jilks said...

We are getting better, thank you all!
We've been taking it easy.

Hubby had it two days, as I did, and we overlapped on one.
It was like the time our family had chicken pox. Each of my kids had it for two weeks, but didn't overlap at all. It was 6 weeks of chicken pox!