Wednesday 28 November 2012

♪♫ ♬ It's beginning to look...

like winter! A dusting of snow in Carleton Place yesterday.
Decorations are out everywhere.
I have decorated the window of my friend's room in long-term care. It is a simple thing, that shows someone is loved. Her vision is very bad, but she can see the colours.
 While staff tell family members, "She could rally." I am giving her mouthcare and other comfort measures (putting lotion on her hands) as much as I can. The PSWs do not have time for each client. They haul her out of bed when she would rather be resting. She is bored and loves brief visitors.
Back home, the goldfish pond is frozen, covered with chicken wire as the kittens seems to like walking on frozen water.


Indoors, Buster is bored. Here he is sitting on the top of the fish tank, hoping to liberate a fishie. He is channelling the late Oliver!

I decided to take him outdoors. I had promised my volunteer agency some pine cones for a gift craft for the bereavement group.

I often take him for walkies in the forest. He loves it. He's part dog, methinks.

My buddy was very helpful in pointing out the 200-year-old pine trees, still producing pine cones, underneath I found the desired treasure. They are camouflaged, hidden by the leaves, but I found several dozen. He did some climbing, good exercise!
Back indoors, the cats play in the sunshine.

 Indoors, the kittens are cuddling in a shoe box for warmth.

They decided to harass their brother and play in the sunlight.

 My fuschia is blooming in the low rays of the sun. A delightful spot of colour.

Whilst in town to visit the dentist, I visited the newest Habitat NCR build in Carleton Place. It is coming along, with flooring in most rooms, the kitchen cabinets will be next. Check out our blog for more photos! I have been taking regular photos since the ground breaking, here are the latest of the kitchen.

The most exciting time was when they brought in the prefab sections by truck and crane! It was a first for Habitat.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 25, 2012

6 comments:

Olga said...

It is that time of year when there seems to be a constant flurry of snowflakes in the air. Will you put up a tree for those kittens to climb into?

Jenn Jilks said...

Olga - I'm thinking a tree is probably a bad idea this year! We have a small fake one, however...

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: What a fun post with your cats. They must have fun taking a walk with you.

A Colorful World said...

Your friend is very fortunate to have someone like you to care for her! I love your post. It reminds us what Christmas time is supposed to be about...caring for others, enjoying the season and our family (kitties too!) and giving to others. Lovely!

Judy said...

My cats used to walk with me and the dog. People used to watch for us, to see how many of the cats we brought along! I stopped feeling so good about that when a dog chased Phoebe, and then his owner kicked her...
But you have the woods, and that is all different!
I should find some pine cones to bring home for photos...

Kay said...

You are so wonderfully caring, Jenn. How lucky they are to have you cheering them and showing so much love. I guess I'm having a hard time this year to get into the holiday spirit. Maybe it's the warm weather. I don't know.