Monday 9 January 2012

Deer friends – Tigger is back

Well, I think he is back. He was the cutest little fawn. He was one of a set of twins.

When I took poor old Oliver for walks in the forest Tigger would follow us!
We cannot tell most of our deer apart, except for their behaviour.

There was a group of seven, with a mom who made sure her twins ate first, then the other four were allowed at the feed.



Isn't he handsome!
We didn't know he was a he until he visited later.
He was fascinated with Oliver.

Here he was, his sibling was a ways behind Tigger.
This was November, 2010.

Tigger had a wound at one point.
Probably from some wire fencing 
And then I spotted him in the grass.
He really surprised me!
He has grown some,
and now we know he is a he!
I could only tell it was Tigger by his behaviour.

He bounced and he approached us for food.

Most of them are quite cautious around us.
The neighbouring 35 acre property is uninhabited, and is used as a part-time hunting area.
I've posted many signs on our perimeter, forbidding hunting on our land.


Here is the only other male I've seen.
Most are on the other side of the highway.
Handsome fellow, our Tigger!


The males stick together, as do the females. We seldom see males around here. The more darkly coloured buck was the one I spotted last year. Haven't seen him since!

The ladies line up behind him.
What are they staring at?
Felix, hunting birds!

I'm pretty sure this is him!
We only seem to have females around.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Heh, when I saw the post title in my reader, my first thought was that there was a rogue tiger on the loose in Muskoka!

Kay L. Davies said...

I love the photo of Tigger with Oliver, Jenn.
We have lots of deer around but they aren't interactive with us. They happily eat our crabapples but won't stick around for conversation.

Judy said...

I like the way he interacts with you and Oliver! His little antlers are so cute!

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't he a cutie? Much more fearful now. Which is a good thing!

Red said...

These deer probably know that if they come to tour place they avoid the guns.

Jenn Jilks said...

True that, Red. They are VERY wary, though. And rightly so. Lots of yahoos, sign on truck: 'Guns don't kill deer, I kill deer". This a man who runs a hunting camp.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thanks for the "backyard" pictures -- you really do have your own little Paradise there.