Thursday 3 November 2011

Milkweed seeds flying like snow!

Is that you, Mommy?
I love the cycles: soil, plants, food cycles are all concepts I've taught during my elementary teaching career.

Much too late, I have photos to show all of these!
This is the story of the milkweed.
I begin with the monarch butterfly, who depends upon the milkweed. This is what the caterpillar eats. The monarch butterfly lays her eggs, and the caterpillar munches happily.

I just happened to be in my backyard when I captured both the butterfly and the caterpillar on the same plant. This was in Bala, Muskoka, Ontario, July 8th, 2007.

Milkweed are rare in some parts, as farmers cut the weeds around their crops. In my front and backyards, however, they thrive.

The blossoms are there in June.
By July 15th I could smell their incredible aroma. If only you could smell them!
everybody likes milkweed

The ants milk the aphids on milkweed. IRONIC?
Buds are growing.
The aroma is AMAZING!

This one grew in my front garden.
I captured it munching, with my new camera. An early birthday present (Dec.!). You can see its little parts moving away. It froze when it sensed I was watching.
Monarch caterpillar

You can see it munching!
Here are my still photos:


By this time of year, fall, the seeds are flying. Felix came to watch what I was doing.

7 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

What an interesting post, Jenn.
I don't think I ever realized milkweed has a scent. I'll have to look for some next year.
Great shot of the caterpillar and butterfly on the same plant!
The caterpillar video was interesting but can't compete with a happy cat.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Powell River Books said...

In the spring our cottonwood trees behind Mom's condo do the same. The seeds get everywhere and pile up on her porch just like snow. Hope you are feeling better. - Margy

Travis Erwin said...

Just reading this post made me sneeze.

Cloudia said...

lovely post!


Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

< ° ) } } > <

Kay said...

This is so interesting, Jenn. I didn't know milkweed had a fragrance. I wish I could smell it.

Judy said...

So howcome (don't go all teachery at me - I know it is not grammatical)I only noticed the fragrance of milkweed a couple of years ago? Was I so caught up in the "weed" label that I could not smell it? Or did the fragrance suddenly appear one day?

Jenn Jilks said...

It is striking, the fragrance, Judy! I love watching the bugs on them. I guess you have to stop and smell the roses AND weeds!