Wednesday 9 November 2011

Canadian musicians

I am woman
hear me roar!
Women have choices!
I read the CTV news report: Did you read the big news?
'Older Canadians are embracing social media'
News? And they needed a poll. We're the ones who have integrated technology in our jobs from when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
In my husband's day, they thought that 3 employees could share a computer. Honest.
I digress...
Grandparents have picked up on the advantages of social media, and are keeping in touch with family, at the very least. I like trolling for news on Twitter, then reading the full stories with my morning coffee. I like weighing in on political issues. I figure I've seen it all, as an educator in multi-cultural schools, having taught refugees like the Vietnamese Boat People, Gulf War, and many special needs students. Myself, being divorced, as a single parent, feminist, remarried mother of 3, grandmother of 2, it gives one a particular  perspective.



The joys of being retired means that we can go out on a Tuesday night, I can play with technology, and I can post photos the next day.
Keith Glass really knows how to play!
A new friend phoned me up and suggested we go out on a double-date!
Keith Glass, with a recording studio in Perth, Ontario, was the perfect fit to replace the regular Tuesday man – Brock Zeman, who is on tour! Keith has mentored Brock, another Lanark County musician.

We like supporting local folks, whether they be artisans, farmers, business owners or musicians!
I quite enjoy O'Reilly's pub. When we first moved here, our silverware was left back in Muskoka. We were eating out, many times at the pub –several weeks in a row, for some fine salads, and entertainment!

She's a great boss
-on her feet all night!
What is cool in Perth, are the house concerts, a terrific trend. Affordable, intimate settings. I loathe the large venues, with loud obnoxious people, cell phones, –haven't been to a film since 2001!

Steve and Sue Tennant organize these concerts. This month's 'house party' was at the pub, where Steve could celebrate his birthday.
They smiled after I took the photo!

Back-up band

The birthday boy!
Steve Tennant

Guest artist
There are two kinds of truth: the truth that lights the way and the truth that warms the heart. The first of these is science, and the second is art. Neither is independent of the other or more important than the other. Without art science would be as useless as a pair of high forceps in the hands of a plumber. Without science art would become a crude mess of folklore and emotional quackery. The truth of art keeps science from becoming inhuman, and the truth of science keeps art from becoming ridiculous. -Raymond Thornton Chandler, writer (1888-1959)

5 comments:

VioletSky said...

You are making your town look most inviting.... I might consider a retirement there!
I had a patient who was in her 80s when she got her first computer - long before I did! - and although she relied on her SIL for techie troubleshooting, she used it voraciously. She would look up any new health issue she had, she would look up on the computer and became very well informed.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Grandparents rock!

George said...

I think it's time to completely retire the notion that seniors are dinosaurs as far as technology is concerned.
I'm glad that you are able to support your local musicians.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: Looks like you had a neat time with your friends.

SandyCarlson said...

Bring on the data! Who is surprised? The seniors of the young 'uns who have to share their computers? Yeesh. Awesome post.