Tuesday 15 November 2011

Canada's Immigration Policy

Immigration
Excellent interview of Charles Beach and his study.
As a hospice caregiver, volunteer and professional, I see many seniors at home, unable to find group care, such as long-term care. The difference is socioeconomics. Those who can afford to pay for a room get one pretty quickly.
It irks me that the government is allowing family class seniors to come to Canada when our citizens cannot find enough support, or geriatric and palliative physicians. It breaks my heart to see these men and women struggling. I wonder the ethics of bringing newcomers to a country with Alternate Level of Care, crowded hospitals, and lack of long-term care beds.

Does multiculturalism work? I don't know.

IRPP: Do admission criteria, recessions affect immigrant earnings?


iPolitics.ca - Michael Abbott - 5 days ago
The analysis reveals several major findings. First, skills-assessed independent economic immigrants, both male and female, consistently and substantially had the highest median annual earnings among the four admission categories in all three landing cohorts. Among female immigrants, those in the family class had the lowest median earnings in all three cohorts; among male immigrants, those in the family class had the lowest median earnings in the 1982 cohort, while those in the refugee category generally had the lowest median earnings in the 1988 and 1994 cohorts. Second, male and female refugees in all three landing cohorts consistently had the highest earnings growth rates over their first 10 years in Canada. Third, the recession of the 1990s appears to have led to reductions in the level and growth of immigrant earnings, particularly for males.

To read the full report, click here.(PDF)

1 comment:

Powell River Books said...

As an immigrant I can say that the process is not an easy or quick one. It would be so much easier for me if my mother could come live with me in Powell River, but I don't think she could get through the scrutiny process. Plus, there is no guarantee that she could get the service she needs in our town. That would defeat the purpose. The only solution I can see is for me to leave my husband and home, and stay in the States most of the time with Mom. I don't think there are any easy answers. - Margy