Friday 18 November 2011

Breakfast treat: Newport Westboro

Off into the big city for car repairs. I treated myself to a quiet breakfast.
This is the famous restaurant - you can read a succinct post on Wikipedia.
Newport Resaurant in Westboro has a big history in Ottawa. This restaurant shows what hard work can accomplish. No handouts here, Moe Atallah came from Lebanon, worked as a dishwasher until he is now a philanthropist, and owns several Ottawa restaurants.

More recently, Ottawans lauded the praises of Earl McCrae, journalist and storyteller. On October 15, 2011, McRae died of a heart attack in Ottawa.

Restaurant sombre after waitress's death

24 May 2006 – The atmosphere at Newport Restaurant was subdued Tuesday, ... The 61-year-old anti-smoking advocate died Monday in hospital with lung cancer. Westboro has changed in the four years since Crowe left after being diagnosed with cancer.
Crowe worked for 40 years as a waitress, almost always in smoky conditions.
Although she never smoked, she was diagnosed in 2002 with inoperable lung cancer caused by her exposure to second-hand smoke.

As I work with my home care clients, I have had to deal with some who smoke in their homes. It is truly difficult.

Delightful Westboro church, now holds a nursery school!

Some smoke so much that I have had to refuse the placement. I cannot risk my health. many still choose to smoke and eschew long-term care for the privacy of their own homes. It is a sad thing. For all the bad news about LTC, there are many that serve residents well, assuring family and friends that people are cared for.
I should dig up some from my forest and sell, sell, sell!

2 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I smoked second hand for 22 years while I lived with my parents. I kind of wonder sometimes.

Kay L. Davies said...

It is a horrible habit, and excruciatingly difficult to quit. I feel so sorry for those old people. I knew someone who smoked at home despite his wife being on oxygen.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel