Saturday 29 October 2011

The great Hallowe'en Debate

Local gas station (Perth) asks you to vote on your fave carving!
I've done my share of Hallowe'en. I've had three children, and taught for 25 years. We had great fun with the day. The grade six classes put together a Hallowe'en room.

With younger kids going through, putting their hand in bowls of brains (cooked spaghetti!), and kids popping out of boxes.

It was clever and creative.
There are pumpkins everywhere. They are beautiful, a sign of fall.



We always had a costume parade throughout the school, especially in the K to gr. 6 schools. It was fun, as the kindergartens visited the older kids.

In a couple of Ontario schools they are forbidding particular costumes; black face, and potentially racist costumes. In all my years teaching I'd never seen kids arriving at school with costumes that mock a particular race or culture. I guess it must happen in this intolerant, red-neck world in some places. (Ohio University’s Students Teaching About Racism in Society)

"Leaf fan waiting for a cup!"
Our Hallowe'en parties were fun, with kids playing music, and telling and listening to spooky stories.
With the new rules barring candy and junk food from schools, I find things have really changed.

I ensured that my young students ate a good snack in the morning, every day. That way, when we had a party, we could let go, and have some junk. It was a treat. I never permitted a student to share anything s/he had brought with another child. This meant that we avoided kids sharing a large bag of chips they'd brought from home, or bought from the store, with their peers. One year I had two anaphalactic kids in my class, with severe allergies to peanuts. We were vigilant.

Nov., 2001
There were a few children, of particular faiths, who were not allowed to participate; e.g., strong Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Jewish, and Muslim. I truly wrestled with this. I gave them other activities, and they were able to sit in the library reading, or doing other work. Most of us suspended our faith traditions, to have a chance to dress up and be goofy for an afternoon.
It was a day to do role reversal, with ghoulish costumes on otherwise happy kids.

We had great fun.
Lots of integrated phonics and linguistic activities:

  • name 10 things that are white
  • how many words rhyme with 'boo?'
  • name 3 Hallowe'en words with 2, 3 , and 4 syllables.
We usually did group lunches, organized by the students. They might design a placemat in art, put together a menu, and so on.

Boys dressed as girls and girls dressed as boys. We tolerated no racism, or homophobia. 
The teachers always dressed up. 


It is a more complicated world. I am glad I am retired. It is so easy to offend someone.
Some schools are forcing kids to wear 'caring' costumes, or only orange and black.

This year critics have even denounced the Oct. 31 celebration as a conduit for racists. Ohio University’s Students Teaching About Racism in Society launched a poster campaign featuring members of visible minorities glumly holding photos of revellers clad in Pocahontas, suicide-bomber and geisha-girl costumes with the tagline: “This is not who I am and this is not okay.”
 These photos are from October, 2005.
 

  1. Costumes OK in schools, but weapons forbidden


    MetroNews Canada - 2 days ago
    While some Calgary public schools have shelved spooky for “caring” costumes on Hallowe'en, this city has more relaxed rules on students dressing up. ...
  2. What your Hallowe'en costume says about you


    Philippine Star - Anna Canlas - 1 day ago
    Such a statement-making costume is the Octoberian equivalent of a long-strategized trip ... playing even more with the idea of the good and the forbidden...
  3. The war on Hallowe'en: Taming the devils, demons and pumpkins


    National Post - Tristin Hopper - 1 hour ago
    And, while pious Jews may be forbidden from sending their children out trick ... Ore., cancelled the wearing of Hallowe'en costumes for reasons of “equity” ...

14 comments:

Lorac said...

I must admit I still love Halloween! I am going to my sons tomorrow to help out with the Shell Out!

Olga said...

Fun in school? Frowned upon.
The last time I substituted in an elementary school after my retirement--mentioning Thanksgiving was even against the rules. I mean, isn't there a history lesson there? And how offensive is it to serve a special meal. I am so glad I am not a kid these days.

Kay L. Davies said...

I just hope I live long enough to see if these measures create a generation of caring, non-racist children. I'm not convinced. I think these things start at home. Caring parents raise caring children. Racists seldom raise anyone other than more racists.
I can understand the no-sharing-food. My youngest nephew (age 8) has an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts. We can't even breathe peanut-breath around him. But no Hallowe'en fun at all? A little extreme. It could easily be accompanied by a history lesson.
Yes, I hope we get to see the results, Jenn. It might be very interesting to share on our blogs (or whatever we have) in 10 or 15 years.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

You can never take too many pictures said...

What Else will they be banning next....Christmas or Easter???? It's sad enough that God is banned as well as his prayer! :(

Carolyn said...

I love Halloween Jenn but you are so right...we have become way to serious about it. It used to be fun and as an adult I had great fun scaring the daylights out of the teens who thought they were too cool for Halloween....however all in good fun!
Hope your Halloween is fun and safe!
Boo!

Powell River Books said...

The kids always like Halloween the best when I was in education. Even more so than Christmas. We did the snake parade where everyone went through everyone else's classroom to see the costumes. Sometimes I think we go too far with limiting celebrations. - Margy

Red said...

Obviously you liked Hlloween and got a lot of mileage out of it. It looks like it was a great learning situation.
At junior high we always had a dance. I found it difficult to come up with costumes.(not terribly imaginative.) Went as Mr Rogers one year. It was funny for junior high kids.
Have a "hooty" halloween!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Halloween has really got complicated. When I was a kid, way back when, our Halloween's at school were much like what you describe. One day for costumes, treats, arts and crafts and such.

Many of the Fundamentalist churches objected but now they even have elaborate Halloween parties with costumes and such.

Our son attends a private school and they celebrate Halloween with vigor. We love it.

eileeninmd said...

What a great post, Halloween is just a fun time and the costumes are great. I'm sure everyone looked forward to your school parties. I grew up Catholic and we always celebrated Halloween.

EG CameraGirl said...

Yes, I heard about that Calgary principal who wants "caring" costumes worn tomorrow. She sure is taking a lot of flack for it and really ought to have thought it through before she made that decision.

George said...

I sometimes think that too many adults spend too much time trying to prevent kids from being kids. I've never seen a child dress up in a costume that could be considered demeaning to someone. As adults we have to keep kids safe, but we should all let them be kids.

Christine said...

Happy Halloween, great memories, too bad about the nay sayers. Everyone seems to be in the spirit today!

W.C.Camp said...

I love these quirky holidays. I want kids to celebrate EVERYTHING and learn about all kinds of cultural events. So people need to relax a bit and not look for reasons to become offended. This is not that complicated, it is just about people goofing off for a few hours. Things sure have changed. Great post! W.C.C.

Kay said...

You've brought back fun memories of teaching first grade in Illinois. We used to have a Halloween parade and all the teachers would get dressed up too. It's such a fun, crazy day!