Thursday 21 July 2011

Bike ride sights

Without smellovision, I cannot let you smell the beauty of the country. Yes, we have farms, but biking in cottage country, the birch trees in bloom, now the milkweed plants, all give a joyous fragrance, letting me know that the world unfolds as it should in this summer season.

Nearly three hours, and 30 km, it was a great ride. I've been working up to it, and taking lots of water during this heat wave.


Last bike ride, an osprey guarded her nest. This time, a falcon was watching me.

Then a deer crossed the road in front of me.

Farther along, a beautiful bog, with lots of bugs.

A huge snail! I put it back in the water!


From there, I made it to Murphy's Point Park. Lots of campers, with people going to the beach for swims, kids on bikes (no helmets!), lots of motor boats on trailers headed for the Big Rideau.

I had some friends there. This deer fly has such a huge proboscus, compared to other flies.


Horse fly, deer fly

Description: There are over 100 species of horse and deer flies known to occur ... resembles the house fly except that the mouthparts (proboscis) protrude.


They bite through fabric, and leave a wicked welt.

When I arrived home, I was inclined to jump in the lake. Not having the wheels today, hubby out delivering Meals on Wheels, I couldn't go to the nearby beach. I made do!


Felix, ever the explorer, helped me. He didn't jump in but was truly curious!

The problem is I have a leak in the pool walls. I fixed it with a patch kit, so I thought, but there are two more small ones. SIGH.

Also, when you pump up well water, it is pretty darn cold! Putting my feet in was delightful. Eventually, I sat in it. It went from 15 C, to 20 pretty soon. Still, it was another shower for me and a welcome relief.

2 comments:

W.C.Camp said...

Very neat to do the bike ride. I like the little pool too. My kid asked me to pump up something similar and sure enough we have slow leaks as well!! But the bottom line is that you are staying cool and doing wonderful summery things!!! W.C.C.

Kay L. Davies said...

The bike ride sounds great except for the horse flies, which are miserable critters.
I've thought of joining my dog in her little pool, but it would have to be cleaned again, and it's too hot to be scrubbing anything outside.
Love the photo of your cat investigating your feet in the water. Great shot!

—Kay, Alberta, Canada