Saturday 18 June 2011

Batman flew the coop...Oops, he's back

Breakfast: worms & grapes
I am fed coffee...
Brekkie over, we rest in the Muskoka Room/aviary
I am having fun with all this. I hope I'm not boring anyone.

I tried to write 'flew the coop'  but it didn't work in the title! Batman had an adventure, I'll tell you about it in a minute.

Frank Towns: Look, how can I let those people build that plane when I don't believe it will work? And, every day they waste trying to build it brings them one day closer to dying.I watched Flight of the Phoenix (2004) in rerun a week ago. Foot propped on a pillow, ice pack on top. Bliss. Now, everyone agrees that the 1965 version is better, none of that gratuitous special effects. Simple story, great actors.

Liddle: I think a man only needs one thing in life. He just needs someone to love. If you can't give him that, then give him something to hope for. And if you can't give him that, just give him something to do.
Who was in my veggie garden?
Having Batman gives me something to do, a reason to sit and rest my foot (which gets worse if I don't rest), and the hopes that eventually he'll learn how to feed himself and fly the coop. He belongs in the outdoors.

Many thanks for the many condolences over losing our cat to a car.

In mourning for my Oliver, it pays to find these things: someone to love, something to hope for, and something to do. That way mourning can occur in little bits and bytes. It eases the shock and the pain. I feel useful.

My story: after breakfast we move out onto the front porch. The sparrows (above) kept us all amused!
The kittens run like heck, Batman likes to sit on his perch and watch the world. Unfortunately, it is a boring place. He does the subway nod.

What I found out about Batman, is that, true to what the local bird rescue woman said, I can fix his eye issues. I grabbed some Q-tips, wet them, and managed to ru off the blood that was caked on his eye. His first day it was bloody and ugly. I didn't have the guts to look too closely at it. I should have.

I removed the dried blood, he tolerated it now. Perhaps the pain stopped? Poor little guy.

And, voila, his eye opened. He rubbed his eye on his perch.
I've been testing him and I'm not sure he has great vision. We will see. Oops, bad pun.

Buster on the run
Bored kittens were happy to play in the front. Buster went back up the tree.

 I put Batman in the planter.



Happy Batman. Unfortunately he hopped from the planter, where I'd put some worms, to the top of my hat.

THEN, he hopped onto the roof, from my hat, as I was watering my plants. This was not a good move. He was hot, panting, and instinct told him to climb higher.

Batman in the hanging planter
I sat underneath the tree, with worms, talking to him. He wasn't too hungry at that point.

He was happy sitting below the fence. I dumped some worms, hoping he'd pick them up.


He pecked at them, but didn't pick them up. Crikey.


I decided that I couldn't corral him.
Couldn't get the lasso around his neck, and went to sit and read. Lo and behold, hubby went out front, offered him a worm, and he hopped over.

The story hasn't ended, he is back in his doggy cage. None the worse for wear, thanks to a syringe of water, worms, and grapes.
Camera Critters
Visit more Camera Critters #167 here!

10 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I like the kitten up the tree!!! Of course, who wouldn't...I love cats.

Happy Camera Critter Day. Here is my LINK Hope to see you stop by for a visit!!

Anonymous said...

Great pics!

Betty Manousos said...

wow! what a delightful post and photos!

thanks so much fro sharing!

happy weekend!
betty

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos, love all the cute birds. The Batman in the hanging planter is my favorite. Have a great weekend!

Kay L. Davies said...

Dear little Batman, how wonderful he gives you something to do (a lot to do?) besides mourn. I know how important it is to give grief a rest for a while, lest it becomes overwhelming.
Enjoyed these photos so much!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Jidhu Jose said...

nice shots

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post, I had to stay around and read previous post about Batman to get the full story.

I just wrote a few post this month about a couple of Robins with babies at our house. I followed them until they were able to fly and haven't saw the babies since. Mom/Dad still hang around the house and always sit on the birdbath when I am outside in the garden. I like talking to them while I garden and they "seem" to listen.

RNSANE said...

How kind and caring you are in your beautiful "bird" clinic. The pictures are terrific!

http://rnsane.blogspot.com/2011/06/alphabe-thursday-i-is-for-india-june-16.html

Christine said...

lovely photos, nice to see you enjoying the animals.

Dave Cawkwell said...

I'm glad batman is ok. I hope he continues to improve.
Great set of photos, Dave at photoviews