Wednesday 27 April 2011

Ontario thunderstorms

The birds were singing madly.

I was forced in from the frog pond today.
Thunderstorms rolled through our area. Pounding rain, thunder, lightning. It was glorious, as the grass begins to green up in south eastern Ontario, the rain fills the ponds.

The dead trees sprout fungus. The forest is such a peaceful place.

Transplanting several wee conifers, to fill up what was lawn, I was happy with the rain!



Setting the videocam on my tripod, July 26, 2008, I captured a 20 min. of a passing thunderstorm, trimming it up to couple of flashes, the loons calling, and that lovely sound of rain falling. It was about 5:00 a.m. as the light slowly dawned.


But this is my favourite. Another storm in Muskoka. I set up the videocam on my not-so-trusty antique tripod and let it run. Trying to snap a photo, I knew my reactions were just too slow! The trick is to stop the camera after each bolt of lightning —that way you know better where to find it on the video when you edit it. I use iMovie for editing. The storm lasted about a half hour.

You can see them at 1:22, and 1:32 minutes in. Don't blink! This is a screen shot.


2 comments:

Kay said...

Thunderstorms are awesome. It's scary over here too. I'm always worried it'll hit our solar panels.

George said...

We've had many storms rolling through our area as well, but they have been mostly at night and I haven't gotten any pictures. I enjoyed both your photos and your videos.