Tuesday 12 April 2011

Gardening and plots


I made a choice to honour my parents. I am sure there are not there, they do not sleep, but I honour their legacy.
They were married April 12th, 1945. Mom died Mother's Day, May, 2006. Dad, in February, 2007.
I receive messages from them all the time.

The rainbow that formed the night we sold their precious Muskoka property.

The painting that fell off the wall when trying to choose one to put in Dad's LTC room.

our late neighbour, who built our house

The chocolate that fell out of my pocket the day we were in the basement of the funeral home choosing his urn. (I don't eat chocolate, let alone squirrel it away in my pockets!)

That feeling up my spine when I sense one of them is near. The comforting feeling knowing they lived their lives well, and are volunteering, or Mom organising some group in the heavens!

My parents dearly loved their gardens. I always think of them when out there. With the promise of spring's arrival, I embrace the cycle of the earth and life itself. They taught me well.
 Some cemeteries can be austere places. Others, lush, and green with the promise of spring.

My Muskoka blog buddy, Ed Boutilier, took these photos of my parent's stone for me. I simply could not make the 6-hour trip back there. Rather interesting, but Mom and Dad lie near their friend, Hal Grossman, the man who built their former home!


I designed their stone, and planted the pine. The statue, Emily, was a gift from us.

The other photos are from some interesting stones taken when hunting for a plot.


When I go into the garden with a spade, and dig a bed, I feel such an exhilaration and health that I discover that I have been defrauding myself all this time in letting others do for me what I should have done with my own hands. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)






3 comments:

Olga said...

It is striking, the communications you received. I try to remain open to that possibility.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

My Mother passed away several years ago but I feel her presence constantly.

Red said...

A fine tribute to Mom and Dad! We have to say these things as they are important for us so that we continue to put our life back together. Good on you to know that you can say things to honor your Mom and Dad.