Wednesday 16 March 2011

Earthquake in Quebec

The earth is shifting.
There was an earthquake in Quebec this afternoon, not far from Ottawa. Magnitude 4.3 MN.

A 4.3-magnitude earthquake hit eastern Ontario on Wednesday afternoon.
Natural Resources Canada said the earthquake was detected five kilometres southeast of Hawkesbury, Ont.

There were no immediate reports of damage.

Canadian volcanoes are explained, illustrated here.

This page allows you to see ground vibrations in eastern Canada by viewing seismic waveforms recorded at the stations of the Canadian National Seismograph Network. For examples of what various earthquake signals look like, see Interpreting Seismograms.

5 comments:

Kay said...

Yikes!!! This is all so worrisome. I keep expecting the next shoe to drop.

Kay said...

I had to smile at your sidebar photo. We named our son Jonathan after Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Judy said...

Someone told me there was an earthquake here, but I did not feel it. I think I was driving at the time. I am so glad that the earthquakes here are such mild affairs, and nothing to worry about, unlike in Japan!

Christine said...

I read about this in the news. They're saying it's a lot more common than we know, so that's reassuring I guess!

Rusty said...

Some felt it down this way, (West Island of Montreal), but I did not. I was probably on the bus at the time. One report of some broken dishes up Gatineau way. Nothing unusual - these small quakes seem to happen a few time a year.