Wednesday 2 February 2011

What a storm!

I love watching the weather. Preferably from indoors.
This is a satellite image from this morning.


Today's weather is brought to us by Texas!
'Major winter storm tonight into groundhog day. The major storm which was born in Texas late Monday is tracking northeast across Indiana accompanied by a huge shield of wintery precipitation.'

Last month it was an Alberta Clipper system!
' A "clipper" system (typically called an "Alberta Clipper" due to where the system originates) refers to a rather moisture starved weather system that gives between 5-10 cm of snow here in Ottawa.'
Hooray.
NWS - US realtime loop - W. coast
Franktown Radar
 
NWS - US realtime loop - here it comes!



And so, driving into town...
People driving too quickly.
One elderly man driving on the wrong side of the road on Gore Street. Truly! A two-way street!

Others driving without their lights on.



And then there is poor Australia... with a summer cyclone approaching Queensland.
Snow, we can deal with in Ontario...these extremes, cyclone, drought, floods, are petrifying.
Aussie's story

4 comments:

Kay said...

This is truly one horrendous weather system. I'm posting photos tomorrow that my daughter sent me today from the Chicago area. They are really housebound over there.

Powell River Books said...

Watching the news it is really amazing. We are expecting rain tomorrow, but nothing unusual for this time of year. - Margy

Unknown said...

We too are buried in 10-12 inches with much larger drifts here in SW Michigan. The howling winds and whirling snows were the perfect winter storm. I am so glad not to be in Chicago, Kay.

W.C.Camp said...

Wow I did not know you were an amateur weathergirl too??? Don't mind the white stuff as long as it doesn't kill the power and kill folks on the road. I have to admit though, I have had more of a 'fix' this year than I need so I guess I would prefer to save some of the fun for next year too! Nice Post! W.C.C.