Sunday 20 February 2011

Furniture hunting - shop till you drop!

I love auctions, and flea markets.

In the spirit of reduce, reuse, recycle, we haunt auctions and try to pick up pieces that others do not want. Rather like our cats, I suppose!

There are quite a few antique stores around Lanark County.
These marvellous old barns, refurbished buildings, including a new one in Lombardy/Smith's Falls, that used to be a gas station/dealership.

Some of the pieces ARE the worse for wear.

I'm not particularly handy, but it is fun to look.

I love the old knick knacks, even while trying to declutter.

The truly beautiful ones are well above our budget, but lovely to look at.
We've picked up presents for friends, e.g., newspaper of the day featuring the Kennedy Assassination.

The smell of these old pieces are incredible. Tucked away in attics and barns and lofts. The books, too, are amazing.

A new piece?




Beautiful desk, with shelf/drawers below

Three older pieces



Love the old sideboard and highchair!

7 comments:

Christine said...

oh this looks like fun. My mother in law has quite a collection of blue mountain pottery.

Red said...

A great way to spend a fun day.

SandyCarlson said...

Great, great, great stuff!

Lorac said...

I would gladly take a few of those pieces!

EG CameraGirl said...

This looks like fun to me!

Unknown said...

i love your blog! its so close to how we live...
btw you won the contest! Email me at lisa-pedersen@hotmail.com to send me your address...i'll send you gardening book right away! Thanks again for reading!

Powell River Books said...

I love looking through thrift and antique shops. - Margy