Saturday 18 December 2010

Who goes there? Reading the forest's story...


Don't you love the snow? OK, many of my readers do not. But, if it has to be cold, I like reading the story of the forest.



fox ambling along
Next, found some tracks on the driveway.
The key is the outer pads, larger than the top two.



I went for a walk around the bog. Very exciting, to be sure. 
It is only frozen a mere inch or two. 
Across the bog, it looked liked something had a bit of a skate.
I think the deer slipped a bit during those melt down days. Remember Bambi and Thumper during the first encounter with ice?

That's the story, methinks.
Mouse, squirrel, chipmunks abound in our forest.
Everyone seems to share the paths.
Then, I came around the corner of the house.
They looked familiar.
Much tinier than the previous tracks, my four fingers, as well as my boot width = 4" wide..

16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great post on the animals tracks. Wondeerful photos.

EG CameraGirl said...

Glad to hear your cat responds to bribes. :)

Unknown said...

You're right. The snow makes for easy I'ding of the the forest animals. I always compare to Boomer's paw for sizing of the animal. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Jidhu Jose said...

nice shots.

Grandma K said...

Oh, how I love this post!

Michelle B. Hendry said...

LOL! I love the look on kitty's face!
I am not able to ID tracks very well, but I do enjoy it!

Al said...

Great post, lots to see in the snow. I often see tracks around my yard, but I'm not very good at identifying them.

Martha Z said...

Yes, I enjoy going out after a snowfall to see who has been hanging around. I don't get to do that often, no snow here, but an early snowfall this year as we closed our mountain home for the winter gave me the opportunity.

Snap said...

love animal tracks. fun post!

LivingSoAbundantly said...

Very neat! :)

Linda said...

I love discovering animal tracks around the garden and seeing that path they have taken.

Jessica - Magical Mundane said...

It is fun to imagine the stories that belongs to the prints we find in the snow, mud etc. I just moved to FL from MI so I am enjoying my first snow free winter since I was a toddler.

Jessica

http://themagicalmundane.blogspot.com/2010/12/camera-critter-saturday-mouser-series.html

W.C.Camp said...

Very cool tracks. Your adventures around your home are always entertaining. I like the snow for a bit but I really hate the ice. So if I can get the white stuff without the clear stuff I am happy! W.C.C.

LadyFi said...

I enjoyed this post a lot! Must learn more about the tracks I see in the forest.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed following you along your journey through the snow! I love the snow! I enjoyed my time living in an area that gets a lot of snow for a couple years. I LOVED following tracks, its so interesting to see who comes through during the night. One of my favorite tracks to follow were snowshoe hares. They are hard to get a glimpse of, but when you did, what a treat it was!

Enjoy the snow!

Jane said...

I'm not a great tracker but I so enjoy seeing the foorprints and trying to figure it out.