Friday 12 November 2010

Country chick goes to the BIG city

With great joy we went to see Wicked in Toronto. OK. I had joy. Hubby, I wasn't sure about. He's never seen the original Wizard of Oz. I wasn't sure how it would translate.

He liked it. Whew.

It was fabulous. Apparently it's a show that runs along the lines of Animal Farm. Who Knew? I liked the music, the power of it as women take their strength back.

Meantime, walking about Toronto took me back many years.

Walking to school. Shopping. Not that I'd recognize the streets in my ripe old middle age.

They were visiting from Australia.
What fun. I asked if they were having a good time. The young lady in the middle was hosting the other two from Perth, Australia. When I said I was from 'Perth' their ears perked up!

Just like home: air filled with birds
Eaton Centre
But home is where I want to be.


We have all these dead elms. 
They are so sad. 
Man's inhumanity to nature. Lanark County
Bark dripping off like blood. 
Painted with lichen on bark. 
Beautiful dead trees 
standing like ghosts in the forest.

6 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

AH! The BIG city! I live so close yet so far away. :)

Deb said...

Ahhh, the Queen St. streetcar. Just love those squealing wheels. Some nights, the train through Torrance sounds similar. Occasionally I miss the culture and energy of the city until I look across the lake. Then as you say, home (Lanark for you, Muskoka for me) is when I want to be.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the show!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'd love to see thatmusical -- enjoyed the book, even though I really had my doubts about it when it was recommended. Maybe someday we can catch a touring production of it. (Tomorrow we are going to see 'the Color Purple' in Eugene)

Carolyn said...

Hi Jenn,
It has been fun to read how you are settling in to your new space. I am back in Ontario looking for my little piece of home in the east. Spent a month up in the Meaford area and am now in Toronto before heading to Ottawa. I had to chuckle at your pics in this post because I took "exactly" the same photos at the Eaton's Centre after the Rememberance Day Service at Old City Hall. I remembering thinking as I took th photo of the Canada Geese and then looked down to take the photo of the packed food court how it was nice to visit but it was definitely time to get out of the city!!! Glad you had fun.
Take care and smiles

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't that a blessing, EG?!

Jenn Jilks said...

That is funny, Carolyn. Same shots. We were hurrying through, late to get to something.
My feet had blisters the size of loonies!