Friday 8 October 2010

Skywatching has changed

I've repaired its hole 3 times!
For me, moving from lakeside, to a forest, worried me as I knew I would miss the big skies.

I need not have worried.

While I'm busy looking skyward to the woodpecker who insists on building a home in the wall, the clouds and trees provide a backdrop. Climbing the ladder, cordless drill in hand, I paused a moment to look skyward. I finally screwed a bat house overtop of the woodpecker hole. We'll see what happens.

Whether I watch the sun rise or set, I cannot but embrace the deep humility that comes with being a creature on this earth.

Even simple, white clouds call for a quiet moment of reflection. With land comes responsibility.

Raking innumerable pine needles; encircling the base of the pine like a halo.

Giving the spongy grass/clover a haircut.

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller


Checking the mailbox for our plump tree frog,  or watching skies, feeding the birds and photographing deer: life is good.

Perth skies
 There is satisfaction in toiling on the land. Not everyone can choose, or would choose to live in a forest.

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.
~Anne Frank


For me it is such a blessing.

darkness approaches
Soon our volunteer work will start up. There is joy in helping another soul. In the meantime, we are watching this season change while we manage our daily lives.


skywatch

8 comments:

Judy said...

So glad you are settling in to your new home! Another thing to be thankful for - no toxic sludge flowing through...
When the girls were small, we had a couple of regular goldfish named Trout and Salmon, if you wanted suggestions for Shirley's friends.

Kay L. Davies said...

Ontario cottage country is beautiful. I had read about it before, but only saw it for myself this year traveling across the country by train. I had expected to see lakes in Manitoba (the map is covered in them) but I didn't. However, in Ontario there are lakes galore. Who knew? (Not this British Columbian transplanted to the prairie.) I love your battle with the woodpecker ending in a bat-house! Hilarious. And of course the wonderful Ontario trees in autumn. Brilliant!
-- Kay, Alberta

Powell River Books said...

Those birds sure can be pesky! We have bats at the cabin every summer. They live in our roof, a bit noisy but fun to watch. Plus they keep the bug population down. - Margy

W.C.Camp said...

Pretty shots - I like the changing colors of the tree the best. Not sure about trading a woodpecker for a bat but to each her own! W.C.C.

EG CameraGirl said...

Glad you are happy in your new place, Jenn. It truly is quite a change but I can see that it's also beautiful where you are now.

Reader Wil said...

Your new surroundings look wonderful, Jenn! Thanks for sharing!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

It looks like you are adapting well. I've moved a lot in my life and I've learned you just have to go with what you have in your new place and not worry about what you left behind.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You are settling in to a beautiful part of the world!!