Thursday 16 September 2010

I've been stripping!

I started, of course, with rubber gloves.
It has been fun scraping off the old paint, sanding, using the smelly stripping fluid.

tiny bubbles of paint stripped away!
do the edges with steel wool, not too fine
Tin can for the stripper = easy access
trick is: enough stripper
two fer one sale
There is something satisfying about taking an old piece of furniture and taking it down to the old wood. There are tricks.

Putting enough on in one go, and waiting just long enough for the goop to do its work. If you wait too short a time, it doesn't go deep enough and do its work.

angle of dangle
If you wait too long to remove the bubbled paint, it ends up drying up again and you start at square one.

I loved working outside on the wagon. It was a beautiful day to work.


When I put the table upside down, I found all the spots I'd missed. Of course, you need not do unexposed parts, but I knew my mother was watching carefully from beyond!



Oliver is so helpful, but doesn't appear until I'm done.
Toute finis!

Voila! New tea wagon.

4 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Well you are pretty handy. That's a lot of hard work but you have a nice new tea wagon.

W.C.Camp said...

That is a handsome tea cart indeed. I am glad that you are happy to be 'ON THE WAGON' - HA! Very nice and informative photo essay. W.C.C.

Powell River Books said...

Nice work. My father was a master at woodwork. I don't have the patience to do it right. - Margy

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You do good work Jenn! I love thinking your mom is watching to make sure you do your best work, even when it doesn't show. She'd be proud.