Saturday 18 September 2010

The black dog sits in the corner, drooling

Walking is man's best medicine.
-Hippocrates, the Father of Medicine (460-377 BCE)

I went for a walk today, walking the Black Dog. A short one into town. With the stress of moving, and leaving this home, I am finding that my depression symptoms have been coming back. I am still taking antidepressants all the time. The black dog appeared first when I suddenly divorced (1993), having been married at age 19 - quite the shock. I did not realize it at the time. I didn't sink too low, but sink I did, taking a month off of work, losing 30 lbs. and during the next occurrence (2003: workplace bullying) I sunk  even deeper. The brain reacts the same way when stress hits again. This time it was two months off of work. I gardened and tried to heal, regain my confidence.

For the most part, once my life settled down in 2008 (2006: moving, caring for dying parents, losing my home and friends, workplace issues) my brain settled down too. I published a book about my journey, and can say that journalling truly helps. I am still having social anxiety, strangers and groups of people make me nervous. That said, I gave a double presentation at the NSM Palliative Care Conference last June, and I was fine.

Unfortunately, mental health issues are seldom spoken of and little understood. As with misunderstanding of, for example, learning disabilities, kids were 'lazy'. This, too, is a physiological reaction to stress, and differs for each person. With depression, certain triggers can cause anxiety. I found, in the midst of my caregiving duties I had panic attacks. Anything that I felt threatened me, loud people, danger,  parking on a hill (seriously!) caused sudden hand trembling. If I accidentally hurt myself, stubbed a toe, hit my hand on something accidentally, or run into something, I feel as if the whole world is after me.

Different people have different triggers. For me, it is noise pollution, too many strangers around me,  issues making decisions, and change. Moving, with all the minutiae of making decisions about moving 3 cats, contacting utilities, leaving behind our cottage of nearly 50 years, I wake in the night planning, preparing, fussing over details and losing precious sleep.

I can feel my hands begin to tremble, and I have a feeling of agitation. I feel as if I cannot defend myself against these assaults. I find I have attention issues, and I feel as if I am on the alert to anything and everything in my environment.

Click to launch the Symptom Checklist
Visit depressionhurts.ca
Those of us susceptible to depression have to be on the watch for signs and symptoms as they reoccur. It helps to let loved ones know your triggers. But watch for emotional issues, fatigue, sleep complications, an inability to think or concentrate, experiencing unexplained aches and pains, and weight gain or loss.  As with all symptoms, either too much or too little can be a sign, e.g., weight gain or weight loss, too little or too much sleep.


Chemically, with severe depression, there is an imbalance of the chemicals in the brain. That fight or flight response kicks in too much with your brain throwing itself into high gear. It can be triggered, as mine was, with grief issues, or menopause, traumatic events. Each time I have a new episode, I find it is both more severe, but more recognizable.  Your body is trying to be vigilant and alert, by putting dopamine into your nervous system. This is why certain antidepressants work for some to limit the dopamine in your system.  They are reuptake inhibitors that do not allow the dopamine to bombard your nervous system, and limits the brain activity. For others, counselling works. Supportive friends makes a difference, too. Ensuring that you are eating well is crucial. See your doctor as s/he is the best person to manage your well-being. You are at risk for high blood pressure, and other health complications.

What helps me is exercise (30 min/day!), relaxation techniques, vitamins, writing, reading, photography, and being in nature. Looking after MIND; BODY; SPIRIT. Also, someone understanding what I am going through. No blaming; just naming. Confidence in knowing it will pass.  I learned a lot about myself. Mostly, I forgave myself my mistakes and took care of myself. I began to volunteer and avoided pressure in social situations. I chose to avoid people who caused me grief. I hope this helps you understand someone near and dear to you.

4 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thank you Jenn! A well thought-out, helpful post. I hope it helped you too. My grandmother suffered from what when I was a child everyone called "nervous breakdowns". I have realized what it really was now for years. We are learning more and more all the time, but I know that understanding doesn't make it go away!

Take time to do those things that you know help. Your readers are lucky that writing is one of your therapies!

W.C.Camp said...

I think you have the right idea. I know it is challenging right now but truly RELAX. The walking is a great way to break away from those stressful days. My wife has a pedometer and today we walked about 10,400 steps but most days only 3,000 or so. Try it - FUN!
W.C.C.

Red said...

Very strong post. Good on you to be so direct in dealing with difficulties.
One thing that has always bothered me is that people can not get their heads around the fact that depression is very real. It makes it difficult to deal with problems when others cannot accurately understand what is going on. Keep on writing!

Judy said...

So you sometimes play with the black dog, too! There are more of us than one would think. I have been seeing a homeopath for more than a year, and then he recommended a therapist he works with, and that is helping me a lot. But the daily walk, and the journal, and the camera are all so necessary!