Wednesday 30 June 2010

Long Lake and Bala's old road

I love our lake. I my late father's papers I found a list of Long Lake Cottager Association members dated to 1968/1980. I posted their names yesterday and the day before.

I remember the days of old, when we all knew each other, there were no cottages behind us (lots 46 -  51), or in front of us (150, 160, 162). The place across the lake, we still call "The Judge's place", was built in 1911. He held a long, long section of land, very private, and now only water access. I always envied that spot of land.




In those days, the Bala's highway #169 (it was just a road/cowpath then) ran NW around the lake. Then, Long Lake was a part of Lake Muskoka.

 You can see where I drew the yellow line around the southern portion of the lake. I cannot imagine those days, and the building of the railroad. Tough work in bugs and snow.

The Long Lake Bala road followed the shoreline of Long Lake,  going around to Tower Rd. and back into town beside the water tower.  You can see the road, peopled by sledders these days.

In fall there are hunters and I dare not walk there!


 In spring it is delightful, as the birds laud spring, and merrily mate, and the vista is glorious.

At the southern end of the lake is a beaver dam. A big one. And evidence of the critters which inhabit the forest.
And other critters!

7 comments:

Deb said...

Gosh, I remember when Hwy 169 was Hwy#69 and while it was paved, it was very narrow.
Interesting to learn that the road used to run behind Long Lake.
With all your cottage memories, it'll be difficult to leave when you do sell. Are you planning on buying another cottage near Ottawa so like your parents, you can create another peace of paradise to generate memories for your daughter and grandchildren?

Jenn Jilks said...

Not a cottage, but some land with space. After gazing out over the water for 4 years, we want some privacy.

Cloudia said...

Things have been CRAZY here! Check out my Wednsday post if you can, I know you understand!


Aloha from Waikiki, Dear Jenn

Comfort Spiral

Lorac said...

Muskoka will miss you I am sure and be surely missed too! It must be exciting though!

Travis Erwin said...

I wish development would slow down in my neck of the woods as well.

Anonymous said...

We're on Long Lake as well. Perhaps you know the Clarkes? There are a lot of good memories on this Lake. What place were you at?

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't know the Clarkes. We were on #17 Windsor Dr.Lot #41 , the peninsula, and didn't meet people from other parts of the lake much.

One of my records, I typed in a cottager association list, mentions Keith & Ruth Clarke, at #110. You can view that here!