Saturday 19 June 2010

Citiots and journalists

Muskoka keeps getting attention if a bizarre way.

They keep assuming that the rich, wealthy and famous are the norm. Yet another Muskoka article, by a reporter who talked to three people and made assumptions.

As popular as the Muskoka region is getting, locals insist it’s still a piece of paradise

Did she ever miss the mark! I didn't have time to talk to her, but this is what I would have told her.

On many lakes you can find lovely cottages that sell for $250,000, but these barely make their radar. Many hardworking people, like my parents, who were working class and saved every penny to cottage here, bought the land in the early years of development and scrimped and saved to build a true cottage.

Many moved into apartments, once they retired, to spend summers here in the outdoors. Today's prices, whatever the market will bear, is raised by those who like this lifestyle.

We had no town water or sewer in those days. I recall delightful picnics as we spent hours clearing the land.

I remember the hand pump we used to bring water up from the lake. The delightful little sink in which mom bathed us, and in which I bathed my children.
I remember rainy days indoors, in our 3-bedroom cottage, building tents of card table and blanket and having lunch in them.


I remember hours catching frogs, snakes, and toads, and swimming and learning about the wee creatures that lived on the land and the water.

I remember watching carefully as I stepped, so as to avoid smucking toads as I walked. I remember the trillium in spring, and the fall colours.

All of the neighbouring cottagers; Mr. Wilson who was a retired science teacher and taught me to look under rocks for creatures, Uncle Doug (below, left) who let us cross his property to get to my aunt's cottage two properties down, and taught me something about Muskoka. Uncle Bill (right) who all helped us learn to fish. My brother, also in the picture, just celebrated his 50th birthday this year. Time flies.




Mom (1925 0 2006) and Dad (1925 - 2007) taught me to look around me at nature and its beauty. They taught me to walk softly, and to put critters back where I found them. To take nothing and leave nothing.

I still have a list of the 1960 lake association.
All of the original cottagers have gone. A few adult children, like ourselves, still own the land and family cottage, but not many.


We rented a cottage, in the old days (1950s) on nearby Clear Lake. Eventually, Mom's brother, and her sister each bought some land and built a cottage. My parents saved up and in those days the land cost us $2000. Their mortgage (I still have the paper!) was $1000.

We scrimped and saved to finally build a deck on the cottage. Until then, we had a ladder we climbed up to get in the door!

The cottage, built of cedar, retains its smell after all of those years. I remember that first entry and the smell, every summer as we finished school and entered our summer home. Built well, it is nearly as old as I am (48 years!).


Of course, with bigger and better toys, the citiots do visit us. They do not understand the land and the water. But they are not the norm, they are the exception. Praise be! The biggest change is in technology, and the ability of visitors to zip around the lake on power boats, snowmobile in winter, and enjoy what used to be 2 or maybe 3-season life, at best. We are now on town water and sewer, and life up here is now 4-season. A thriving year-round community that depends upon both seasonal and winter residents for its infrastructure.

4 comments:

Powell River Books said...

When we purchased our cabin, they were just becoming regulated. Before that, float cabins on Powell Lake were squatters. They were hand built and pretty basic and very cheap. They rarely came up for sale because they stayed in the family or were passed along to friends. Now the cabins sit on formal water leases and have quadrupled in cost since 2001. Like Muskoka, things are changing. But for three seasons, the lake is still almost vacant. It's only in the summer that we have to share our watery home with all but the most hardy. - Margy

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What you are talking about has ruined the American west. Jackson, Wyoming used to be a great little town. Now the millionaires have been pushed out by the billionaires. Many family owned ranches have been bought out by people who don't understand that responsibilities go along with rights.

There is getting to be a greater and greater separation between hte haves and the have nots and I don't think it bodes well.

Carolyn said...

Here it is the same. It used to be that if you wanted to live here in peace and quiet you could but some realestate guy did an interview in the New York Times and Globe and Mail saying the best recreational property in North America was on the north shore of Haida Gwaii. Property that sold for $39,000 5 years ago now sells for $500,000 to people who are only here two or three weeks of the year.
Taxes this year jumped over 80%!
We are not headed in a good direction.
Keep smilin'

Anonymous said...

Greetings, I think your web site could possibly be having web browser compatibility issues.

Whenever I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in Internet
Explorer, it's got some overlapping issues. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Aside from that, fantastic website!

Also visit my homepage; Site Link