Tuesday 27 April 2010

Walk on the tame side

Yes, hubby had a meeting at the band office in Wahta Mohawk Territory. I decided to drive with him, and walk along highway #38. he could pick me up on the way home. I figured I could stop when I was tired, or walk back. There is a lot of traffic on #38.

The vistas are beautiful. From a long history of poverty and a meagre existence in fall of 1881, our Wahta Mohawks have a beautiful band office, and the farms that dot the highway are wonderful, nestled in with the bogs, trees, and flourishing Native operations.

I gave up trying to photograph the birds, but spotted two red-tailed hawks, a pair of vultures, and various flora and little other fauna. At one point I could hear a rooster crowing!

The trillium are out, as are the tent caterpillars.

Little tiny ones in the heat of the roadside, not yet the voracious adults they will come to be.

The snakes and turtles like to cross the road, to keep us on our toes! Hence the signage.

The puppies cheered me on my way. Sort of a limited fan club!

I love the United Church. Well-cared for grounds, a beautiful sign, with trillium and brightly coloured daffodils. Delightful building.


It was a good hike. About an hour and a half. The blackflies weren't bad, as there was a brisk wind in 20 degrees temperatures on the road. In the rock cuts, where the wind was less, the flies swarmed me.

They are not biting me yet, perhaps not yet egg laying time.
It is chilly in the open at night, down to -3 in open spots, where the airport weather information is gathered in Gravenhurst.


But by the lake, the temperatures are tempered by the lake itself. The lake has temperature inertia, and has kept us up above zero for the most part. I have put my large (5') plants out on the deck, tucked into the balcony, and they have lost a few leaves, but I haven't brought them in yet. Just too much effort.

9 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Your trillum look to be at about the same stage as ours. Funny, I would have thought we would be a tiny bit further ahead.

Web worms! Yuck.

I love the signs for turtles and snakes. I have a few in my archives but have never posted them.

Carolyn said...

Walking has got to be the best activity ever, especially at this time of year when you can still see into the forests and explore.
I too have not been biten by the black flies but boy the minute you stop walking they are all over you.
Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures and your part of our world.
Keep trekking and smiles

Deb said...

Did you notice the variety store "Smoke on the Wahta"? We always chuckle when we pass by and then break out singing that Deep Purple song.

Jenn Jilks said...

Mostly, it is the Native store that sells Cheap Smokes and meat pies. (Must be Scottish meat pies!)Makes me think of Stuart Maclean!
We just bought a CD of Native songs. Really powerful. I loved drumming with my students. I used my djembe with the bereavement class. We had fun!

Cloudia said...

nice trip!



Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love going on long walks through interesting areas. Thanks for taking us on yours.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: Neat photos from the walk.

Vagabonde said...

I have been reading all you posts. I do not see black flies here but we have large ants right now. Also I can’t believe about the noise you have in Muskoka when you are in such a secluded place. Here on our road with the lake behind us and lots on both sides of us without any building, we hear almost nothing, and we are only 45 minutes from Atlanta. I read your story about bats with dismay – I had not heard about the white nose virus and I hope they can find a cure. We went to Tennessee last week where our friends stay on a 1750 acre farm land, which is really not a farm but a “community” that used to be a “commune” and we walked around it a lot. It was so nice. I’ll make a post on it next week.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks for all your comments!
@MyNorth, I must admit it was late when I posted your comment. I just 'got it'! and now I am chuckling...

I'll check them out @Vagabonde! I love your photos of the Festival of Native Peoples.