Saturday 17 April 2010

Role models in music

I love this guy. We studied his music in one of my English homeroom classes. We talked about his background, growing up in Somalia in poverty, in chaos, and moving to Canada.

This particular class was composed of a mix of students from many parts of the world. I loved this class, made up of a rainbow of kids. It made sense to discuss the meaning of the lyrics, as we were having a language issue in some classes. His lyrics are a powerful part of his life. Hip hop was a good way to reach the kids.

It is tough finding an original video site. The video, below, was from a visit to Q, a CBC.ca show. K'Naan's official website.


1 comment:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love it too Jenn. It is nice to be back in blogland, sorry I have not called so much lately. Glad to say my back is improving.