Wednesday 3 March 2010

What do you bring to your job?

I enjoyed watching the new show with the bosses going down on the front lines, 'Undercover Boss'. The one man, in charge of cleaning johnny-on-the-spots, brought such humanity to his work; Respect for others. An understanding of his job, his purpose, and the joy in living.

Wouldn't you like to see the top physician acting as a nurse?! Just for a day?
Wouldn't you like to see your boss filling your shoes?

I follow a blog by an Emergency Department nurse...who is the most important person on the front lines? Dunno, but without one of you the whole stack of cards falls down. Collaboration, collegiality, respect for self and others.


All of the nurses make valid points in this post. It really does reduce the argument to respect: for your time, experience, and the importance of everyone in the room. Hypotheticals is an excellent post. There are so many jobs that depend upon one another.

I recall, when teaching kindergarten, passing the custodian's office. He'd often be reading a book. My  principal visited my classroom and looked at the deplorable condition of my student's chairs. She took in one chair to the guy's office and asked the custodian to wash it. The next afternoon, she took two in, and eventually he got the concept!

There are two books that inspire me:

1. Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results

"When we choose to love the work we do, we can catch our limit of happiness, meaning, and fulfillment every day."

"Fish! is an incredible story that John Christensen first caught on film. He and his company, ChartHouse, produced an amazing video on the world famous Pike Place Fish market in Seattle. I have been showing this video at every one of my seminars to illustrate what happens when you create Gung Ho! employees--you ignite your workforce and create Raving Fans. "

Viewers of the film/video will learn the 4 steps of the FISH! Philosophy
 
[Runtime: 17 Minutes Play Trailer]

2. Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson, MD

Who Moved My Cheese: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your LifeWe are like mice in a maze. The big guy leaves us cheese every day. Then, something changes in your life, the cheese you depended upon for sustenance; your job, relationship, life changes, and how do you deal with it?

Anger or acceptance and changing YOUR behaviour?


Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

4 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

I would love to give this one a try.

Grandma K said...

When I was teaching, I realized that far too many administrators had lost what it was like to be "on the front lines." I know teaching changed over the years of my career, and I really feel many of those who were "bosses" were still caught in the experience they had in the classroom - not what the classroom was really like today! I always said they should have to teach some classes - and not just one class, one day.

Barrie said...

If nothing else, I'd try these books because of their titles!

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

These might be something we would be interested in.