Thursday 11 March 2010

Signs of the times III

skywatchI am watching the skies for signs. Click on the badge meme for more skies!

Children learn by the signs around them:
object =&=> index =&=> symbol =&=> sign
 
The sign, left, lets us know that spring is here: axle limits on vehicles on mushy roads!


There are many objects (a truck), indexes (sounds of a truck, symbols (pictures of a truck, the word truck) and signs that, as visual creatures, give us information about our world. Fight or flight depends upon seeing signs. One widely used approach to the study of the relationships among patterns of perception and meaning is called semiotics.
  • a perception of something that exists in the physical world,
  • an object or concept to which the perception is said to refer,
  • a thought, image or concept that is formed in the mind as a result of the perception and which relates to the object.
Central to semiotics is the notion of the sign.

I have a preoccupation with signs. I've done a couple of posts on signs. 

1. sign, sign, everywhere a sign...

2. more signs of the times

Moonshine


 This morning I thought the sign (rising sun, shadows) said that I was up too early. I was wrong. It was just right. What a great moon!


But, below, these are my favourite signs: the SOUNDS of Spring!








Spring brings an awakening of the earth and our spirits soar with the uplifted singing and winging of the wildlife. These are my photos of the creatures that inhabit our Muskoka. The healing power of nature soothes the soul. 

 


Below is my 'most watched' Spring video: 2311 hits!




Music: Mathew Larkin, Noel Edison, and the Elora Festival Singers. In The Heavenly Kingdom, Anthems and Motets. (I used to sing with the Ottawa Choral Society, which Mathew Larkin  directs!)

Ottawa Choral Society - Artistic Staff

This is Matthew Larkin's fifth season as Music Director of the Ottawa Choral Society. During his tenure he has conducted the Choral Society in a number of ...

8 comments:

Cloudia said...

I'm lunar for this cool post.

Aloha from Hawaii my Friend!


Comfort Spiral

SUSAN said...

Well March Break is one sleep away. What is the weather like up there? How much snow? Do we dare take the plunge and spend some time at the un-winterized cottage?

Please advise

Sue

Sue said...

I left a comment before but I don't think it got posted???

I was just looking for some advice.
With March Break one sleep away, I was wondering what the weather and snow conditions are up there. Is it worth the trip to our unwinterized cottage?

Thanks
Sue

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Judy said...

Hi, Jenn,
I love the shot of the moon in the trees - the last of the sunset, or is that the first of the sunrise? I can't keep track!
And I saw the first redwing blackbird this morning! He was too busy deciding where to stake his claim that I couldn't get close!

Jenn Jilks said...

@ Clever Cloudia! I love your blog!

@Susan I don't know, Sue! It's pretty damp kind of cold. We sat by the lake yesterday, walking the cats, and the wind was picking up the melted lake ice moisture. We have a fire going today (6+) but they say we're getting rain. If you do come, bring your woolies and indoor board games!

@Judy sunrise! I'm so glad to hear of report of blackbirds. The creatures are returning!!!

Nancy Tapley said...

Jenn, tell Sue to forget the unwinterized cottage and come stay with us at Bondi Village Resort www.bondi-cottage-resort.com instead - our cottages are big, warm, and have running water. Not to mention the ski trails, toboggan hills and wildlife!

But what I really wrote to say was about your Moon photo -- this month is't known as the Worm Moon when it's full, because the worms start moving up in the soil which is great for the gardeners. So, too do the Snow Fleas - I liked your post on them. Did you catch ours??

Powell River Books said...

This week we've had pretty cloudy skies, but I did capture a few shots of blue between the "gloom." We have a new radio announcer from Red Deer. You'd think she would love our west coast weather but she is always talking about the gloomy weather. - Margy