Tuesday 30 March 2010

The ME generation

I love TERN's posts!

In the 90's, of course, we didn't want to bruise anyone's self-esteem, we ceased to 'fail' kids, or hold them back, because research showed they didn't learn any better this way, separated from their peers. Yet, when will they learn? There are no second chances, retests, tutoring in life.

I think that the work ethic has swung on a pendulum. MEN used to work overtime to get ahead, then, when women entered the work force, we set limits on over time and gave respect to our families.

I have perceived, that with the increasing demands of the ME generation, there is a reluctance to actually do one's job. Not only that, but the language that is used.

"Whatever."
"Perfect" (Well, not is is not. Bing me my food and I'll tell you if it's perfect"
Try "Thank You, for your order."
"You are Welcome."

Now, if it's not in my contract, I can't do it. Praise the Lord that we pay overtime to some these days, not always those who deserve it, mind you. Multimillion dollar bonuses? YES. To those who haven't deserved it. Because it is in the contract. Signing bonuses? YES.

I remember flying on a short, non-700 series airplane, flight attendants had finished their quick snack-serve, and they sat at the back, talking.

On the other hand...there are the whistleblowers, to whom few seldom listen!

*I'm with you, TERN, ban electronics in work places where they do not fit. This is personal business on company time. Crackberry, indeed!

No comments: