Saturday 6 March 2010

Camera Critters - how deer they are

Camera CrittersGood hubby went for a walk into town. I was on the phone, doing volunteer stuff, when I happened to glance out the front window.

Look who I spotted ambling along...the one in the rear was in charge of keeping watch.


Eventually, they moved off. I threw on my coat, boots, grabbed my camera equipment.

Once they bounded away, this one kicked up its heels, I  followed them out on the ice, treading carefully.


You can see from my boot prints that the melt water from the melting snow is pooling on top of the ice.

The ice varies in depth, but it is especially thin on the shorelines where the warm land is draining into the lake.

The deer seemed to know this, and stayed far from shores. The ice is probably a foot thick in front of our place, but there are cracks and thin spots as the ice heaves with changing water levels.
We walked past a spot where the ice level dropped, and the ice split. Underneath is a large 6' rock, sitting in over 6' of water.
I carefully walked out farther out onto the ice, the deer had moved over to an island down the lake. Hooray for the zoom lens! They went over to a piece of frontage and around the other side, where I lost them.

9 comments:

Lorac said...

It always makes my day when I see the deer out back here. One of my favorite animals! Good shots!

Lorac said...

I realized after I sent my comment that "good shots" could be taken the wrong way. I meant of the photos!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That'd be great to be able to watch deer from your house.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: What a fun time, deer are so much fun to watch.

ksdoolittle said...

Seeing deer always excites me!!! Great photo essay! ~ks

Brooke said...

Lovely shots! Deer are beautiful animals and so much fun to watch, aren't they?

Snap said...

Wonderful shots. How much fun that must be to watch the deer from your home!

eileeninmd said...

Great shots, I love to see the deer.

Oskar said...

I love the one kicking up his heels!