Thursday 4 February 2010

Snowmobile Safety Efforts

This past Saturday and Sunday, January 30-31, Ontario Provincial Police North East Region detachment snowmobile patrols were active.

WITH Ontario's OPP on the bandwagon: augmented with additional detachment officers, members of the OPP Snowmobile, All Terrain Vehicle and Vessel Enforcement team (SAVE), special constables of the Snowmobile Trail Officer Patrol (S.T.O.P.), Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Club (OFSC) trail ambassadors, Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officers as well as many Municipal and First Nation Police Service members in an all out effort to improve trail safety and encourage safe sledding behaviour through education and enforcement.

This photo  (below, left) shows men who have just filled up at the pub next door in Bala. Here is a RIDE check at highway #169 and #38, just around the corner.
Go to Ontario Snowmobile Reports.OFSC The OFSC really promotes education and safety.
As a responsible snowmobiler, I will...
  • I will ride in a manner that is a credit to our recreation:
  • I will influence other snowmobilers to adhere to this Code of Ethics;
  • I will respect the rights of others including property owners and other outdoor enthusiasts;
  • I will protect our natural environment;
  • I will ride in a responsible manner and will use only marked trails, areas or roads open to snowmobile;
  • I will not harass or harm wildlife or the natural surroundings;
  • I will minimize my impact on the environment;
  • I will ride smart, be prepared and stay in control;
  • I will check ice and weather conditions before riding;
  • I will help those in distress;
  • I will obey all laws and rules governing our recreation;
  • I will promote proper snowmobile education and training;
  • I will practice Zero Tolerance with respect to impaired driving
See also:

Education for the driving [m]asses: Tip 141 - Safe snowmobiling

Snowmobiling is a sport enjoying immense popularity. There are currently over 600,000 registered snowmobiles in Canada and over 160,000 km of snowmobile trails.

And, again, a US personal story.  An accident that could have been fatal, with an experienced driver, on a new sled, uncomfortable and going 25 mph. Unable to get 911 service, and difficulty with EMS to locate them, this article gives some great ideas.

On our way out from Turner Mountain, we were on the groomed trail, my husband first, Suzanne second, myself and my brother bringing up the rear. About 8 miles from town, we rounded a corner and I watched Suzanne leave the road, pop through a ditch and up a hill. About 10 feet up the hill, her right front ski tapped a huge tree, throwing her off.
She struck the tree full length and dropped to the ground, not moving. Being right behind her, I saw the whole incident, jumped off my sled and stood in the road waving my arms and screaming at my brother, who was right behind me. He jumped off his sled and ran to her while I rode ahead to stop my husband.


Cops caution snowmobilers Selkirk Journal


RCMP caution that people store their snowmobiles in safe places. Locking up the machine and removing some essential components (like a battery terminal or distributor cap) will help make it far tougher for any potential thieves.

Snowmobile safety is also a huge concern for Selkirk RCMP. Snowmobile accidents account for almost half of winter sports injuries, so making sure you're familiar with your snowmobile or ATV and always operating it safely is a must. Staying off unfamiliar bodies of water, particularly later in the season during the spring thaw is very important, as is carrying a survival kit, tools, a first-aid kit, and a trail map and compass. 

2010 Snowmobile Season Off To A Deadly Start Written by Ontario Provincial Police
Monday, January 18th, 2010 - 19:20:21
 
On the snowmobile trails as over 2200 sleds were checked for safety and regulation compliance.


Although speeding was met with strict enforcement, police were pleased with the overall cooperation and compliance shown by sledders - only 40 Motorized Snow Vehicle Act infractions were ticketed. There were no impaired driving charges, however two Liquor Licence Act charges were laid.




AND  USA CAMPAIGN:
Thrills, chills and a near spill in the Valley (USA)
A snowsled odyssey requires prudent speed, no solo riding 
 Part 3 of a three-part series on snowmobiling in Maine.
FORT KENT, Maine — The only thought going through my head as the tree came closer was: “Thank goodness I borrowed that helmet.”
Not exactly the most auspicious start to my morning of snowmobiling adventure in northern Maine, but it was a good lesson in how fast things can go wrong when a 400-pound sled is not given the respect it’s due. My guide for the morning – retired game warden and backcountry sledding guide Gary Pelletier — summed up the mishap in five words: “You were going too fast.” Not that I was zooming down the trail, but given the conditions — an ungroomed, drift-covered trail — I admittedly took the corner a bit too fast.

DNR campaigns for alcohol free snowmobile season

By Gerry Grosenick
Published: Thursday, February 4, 2010
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) began a campaign in January to reduce the number of alcohol-related deaths and injuries to snowmobilers.

Snowmobilers receive a wallet-sized card that describes the campaign and explains how and why snowmobilers would benefit from it. They also receive bright yellow Zero Alcohol sticker to place on their sled, helmet, trailer or vehicle.

According to the DNR Web site, 23 people in the US were killed in snowmobiling accidents last year. Alcohol was a factor in 70 % of those fatal accidents.
In addition, snowmobile accidents causing 176 injuries were reported to law enforcement officials during the 2008-09 season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Too bad some snowmobilers can't seem to enjoy the sport without alcohol!